26 July 2007

Coincidence

We are heading into the last week of term 2 and I am wrapping up a section on Demonology in my Theology 2 class... today things got freaky. Over the last 2 weeks the students have asked hundreds of questions about combating the work of Satan and demons... today we had a chance to apply what we are learning during class.
Yes, I know I'm a great teacher but I can't take credit... I couldn't stage something like this if I tried. I was reading Luke 9:39... seriously, I'm not even joking or exaggerating.... A spirit seizes him and he suddenly screams; it throws him into convulsions so that he foams at the mouth. It scarcely ever leaves him and is destroying him.
At the moment I finished Sande Emmanuel was thrown to the ground convulsing, forming at the mouth and his eyes were red like fire. As we surrounded him, I grabbed his head and four of the men held his arms and legs so he wouldn't injure himself. As we began to pray over him he began to spit from his nose and mouth. It was seriously one of the most crazy, scary, freaky things I've ever been a part of.
This is the second time this has happened in my Theology 2 class this term... and I have a hard time calling it a coincidence. Yes, I could blame it on epilepsy but still twice in the same class, in the same term, with 2 different students and once while taking about demon possession. My American experience is completely void of anything like this.
My students are beginning to wonder what type of powers I have since these things only happen in my class... I just told them that if this is a special spiritual power I'll make sure to ask God for a new one.
As we surrounded him and prayed the seizure ended or the demon left. Two worlds and two theologies are colliding in my head. My past experience is telling me believers cannot be possessed by demons since a believer is indwelt by the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19) and Satan cannot touch a child of God (1 John 5:18). But now I am left wondering how much they can do to believers: Paul had a thorn in the flesh (2 Corinthians 12:7) and Job was inflicted with boils (Job 2:6,7).

If you got sick as often as I do you'd wonder to...

1 comment:

David A. Rusco said...

Hi Jeff. I sent you a comment in an email. Did you receive it?
Dave Rusco