14 September 2007

From Supernatural to Super-freaky

Living in Uganda has somehow cured my propensity to exaggerate...

Because I couldn't even make this stuff up if I tried...

I wasn’t too excited about teaching theology yesterday… After teaching about the Holy Spirit, Angels, Satan and Demons last term this semester was looking a little tame… man, sin, salvation, etc…

But things got interesting in the midst of my boredom. I was explaining the Traducian Theory… which I couldn’t remember for the life of me what it was until I was putting this class together…. It’s the theory that attributes the origin of the soul as well as the body to one’s parents… a theory which opposes creationism that God created the soul and the body originates from the parents... its an important debate and yes, theologians have too much time on their hands.

At this time one of the young ladies raised her hand and asked...

"Pastor Jeff, do animals had souls?" Student A

As a theology teacher and as an individual that gave up touching animals 3 years ago unless its to kill them or fight them off… I was annoyed. Here I am preparing to talk about man’s sinful soul and need for salvation and they want to know...

"Do all dogs go to heaven?"

… I felt like a jr. high pastor all over again.

With great patience and care for my students… I ignored the question and acted as if I hadn’t heard it… But again the question came… with a twist.

“No, Pastor Jeff she is asking if the animals that are born to women have souls?” Student B

“What?” Me totally confused…

“You know, like when a woman gives birth to a snake or a cat!” Student B

“That’s not possible!” Me hoping for a quick recovery…

“Yes it is! I’ve seen it.” Student B

"So have I!" Student A
“So have I!” Student D
“So have I!” Student E
“So have I!” Student F
“So have I!” Student G
“So have I!” Student H

“You guys are freaks – what planet are you from?” That was only said inside my head as I was attempting to stall…

I answered with a few questions and told them that they were theologians and that they could answer it themselves... that's what great teachers do when they don't have a clue but don't want to admit it.

I invited a few of the participating students to my office to discuss the matter today... to be continued.

4 comments:

Flo Oakes said...

What a cliffhanger-I'm intrigued!
I've gotten a bit interested in midwifery and childbirth education, and NONE of the books I have ever read covered what to do in case of an animal birth.
Oh, and speaking of animals.
I know this annoys pastors, and there is no biblical evidence to support this assertion, but....I like to tell myself that when God creates a new heaven and a new earth... maybe...just maybe he'll remake my cat that has been missing for 9 months...
And maybe he'll give him a classier name than "Bobo".
We'll see.

chris kottre said...

what a great story, jeff.
i actually acted out the story for Mondo here in the office...

i cannot wait for part 2

Joshua Walker said...

Jeff, we read this in class today. One student (Kelsey) quipped "Maybe that's where the phrase 'Don't have a cow' comes from." Thought you'd appreciate that.

Ask if they've ever given birth to elephants, rhinos, giraffes, tigers, bears, or lions.

Joshua

Teenietinyt said...

UUUUhhhh...yeah Jeff...I gave birth to an aligator this morning! HELLO!
WOW...the things that come out of Africa just keep killing me!!!!