11 October 2007

Vacation

Vacation should be a time of rest and relaxation...

I time for long baths while sipping a cup of joe...

But...

We arrived home after 3-days of our 4-day vacation… and all I could think was…

I miss Disneyland!

I miss going to the park and telling the boys it is vacation!

I miss McDonald’s Playland and everything else that is good about child raising in America!

I want rounded edges, rubber mats, guard rails, fresh seals and safety standards… I miss lifeguards, safety inspectors, activity directors and reliable childcare!

I went for vacation and came home with an ulcer!

As you can see the resort was beautiful and I have no right to complain in a country where the word vacation is foreign to nationals... BUT... between the 100's of uneven stairs, steep drop off into the lake and no guard rails on any balcony it was a parents nightmare...

...and the first morning the nightmare became true when Noah fell into a hidden and random 10-inch hole in the grass and smashed his forehead on the corner of a stone step...

Blood rushed everywhere... Noah and Kadin immediately began screaming... and I realized that we were 2 hours from the closest clinic... but we'd have to cross the Rwandan border and find a hospital in a country where everyone speaks French...

So the first decision of the trip was... OPTION A: should we attempt to find a hospital so Noah can get his head stitched up? ... or OPTION B: should we do are best and let Noah have a nice scare in the middle of his forehead?

We went for OPTION B!

Now filled with guilt we sat down in the second story dinning area with no rail of any substance and I proceeded to treat my sons in the same way Marlin took care of his son Nemo... which doesn't work with boys in sea or on land.

So we decided to go for a boat trip around Lake Bunyonyi...

... at least the boys could be confined and between Christine, myself, Grammy, Papa and the 2 drivers we'd have the boys outnumbers 3 to 1 (simple math - divide by 2!)

Noah... with a renewed sense to redeem the day... decided to go fishing along the way...

He amazed himself by catching countless plants along the way!

The lifejackets weren't much to put your confidence in... but Noah thought they were a nice shade of orange...

Kadin... never one to be left out of the action... decided that fishing sounded like great fun and thought he'd give it a try.

Despite the fact that he had no net, pole or fishing line... he thought his hands would work just fine...

So while the driver cruised around the lake... Kadin displayed his complete trust in my unreliable hands (just ask my HS basketball coach)... and attempted to catch fish while hanging over the edge...

By 10 AM we had... seen Noah smash his head... fixed Noah's head... eaten breakfast... cruised around the lake... and taken a hike... and we were out of things to do...

So as luck would have it... the skies opened and a torenchial down pour began... hooray!

So we enjoyed the rain and watched movies all afternoon while snacking on bananas and animal crackers....

The next day we went home... where we had the best day of vacation.... in our yard... celebrating Uganda's Independence Day...

Amazing... in all that complaining I didn't even mention the 7-hour car ride each way with no AC, pit latrine toilets and buses that can't stay on either side of the road...

...well, now I did!

2 comments:

Teenietinyt said...

You guys MUST be EXHAUSTED!!!

Sallie said...

How is my Noah? We'll send you some Mederma for the scar. Poor Baby!

I love the picture of Kadin taking a bath!

Love, Nanny