28 November 2007

225

For those who have faithfully read this blog since the beginning… this one is for you…

It’s been a long time coming but I’m sure it was worth the wait…

Saturday I was in the cashier room at the Turtle Bay Resort where we have been vacationing the last week… more stories to come…

The great thing about the cashiers room is that it is the only room in the resort that has an AC… all week its been 90+ degrees with 90% humidity… I think they keep the room cooled so you don’t get as angry when they rip you off with their exchange rates…

As I walked out… with a lighter load of cash… I also became light headed… my vision turned into something like 9 TV screens but instead of the Brady family appearing the monitors all went blank…

Next thing I remember I was drenched in sweat and 2 security guards and a resort manager were laying me down on a bench… time to rewind a bit…

My favorite activity… judging by the frequency of it occurring… is to get sick on vacation… Malaria on our trip to Bulago Island and a kidney stone on our trip to the US are my most frequent examples from the last calendar year… we were working in the US but everyone… in both countries… assumes that when a missionary is home they are on vacation… so I’m just going to go with it…

We had already been here 5 days and I only had 2 more to go… but being on a beach with hundreds of mostly naked Europeans of all shapes and sizes I couldn’t resist the urge to show off what my body could do as well… a complete immune system failure…

So much for my personal best of 225 days without getting sick…

It started when I woke up… back ache and fever… a classic malaria combo… I kept my mouth shut and just acted like I was sea sick while we were out on a boat watching the dolphins… which wasn’t easy to do as a wrestled with Kadin for 2 hours to keep him from swimming with the dolphins… whom he insisted were sharks…





By nap time… for Kadin… I was toast… they scheduled a taxi to pick me up at 3:00 to take me to the doctor… I stopped by the cashier and passed out at 2:57… even at deaths doorstep I can’t help but be on time…

The security guard slung one of my arms over his shoulder and dragged me to the taxi…

They must of gotten confused because the place we ended up at looked more like a high end witch doctor… but I was too out of it to care…

The doctor took some blood… I thought about asking how clean the needle was but I opted for friendlier service instead… he was rather impressed with my fever which I took as a compliment… “yes, I am very hot”… turns out I didn’t have malaria just a healthy bacterial infection…

At this point I found out the doctor wasn’t a doctor at all… probably a janitor or neighbor to the doctor but he was doing well so I decided to continue… he asked what medicine I wanted to take… he’d never heard of HGH so I told him whatever he thought was best…

After a frantic call to a real doctor he came back with the most expensive antibiotics in East Africa… not a doctor but knows how to make a buck...

Some people fill their passports with stamps… I prefer to fill mine with hospital stories…

2 comments:

Sallie said...

Jeff - My best medical advise is - Don't go on vacation! How are you feeling now?

Love, Mom

Teenietinyt said...

Just can't help yourself can you?!?!? hahaha Sorry dude...hopefully you are better now!