14 November 2007

Gulu

As a missionary (for lack of a better term) I am spoiled...

4 times a year Cornerstone sends out a group of pastors to teach in a mobile pastoral training program... so 4 times a year I get to hang out with the guys I worked with and went to school with... seriously, these weeks getting to see them are the highlights of my year... because its one of the few times of the year I can hang out and just be one of the guys... usually instead of hanging out I stick out as the lone white man...

We ended up having a nice long weekend at our place... because 2 of their bags got lost... so we ended up going to Gulu on Sunday instead of Saturday...

Like the others before they all wanted to play golf... fortunately for me there was a tournament this weekend so we couldn't play...



This is a picture of me and Walker (I'll refer to their last names since 3 of them go by Josh... but also that is confusing because there was a Josh Beck and a Josh Buck...) at the Nile River... which you can't see because of our big heads... it was a self-portrait...

We'd been driving for 6 hours by this time and I was feeling car sick... I didn't say anything because last year I was making fun of them for complaining about the roads...

But seriously... in my car I just go over the pot-holes... but Moses our driver was hitting the brakes and swerving every 30 seconds around the craters...



Moses is the one driving... look left... and Jedidiah, who came to the Cornerstone missions conference with us in March is on the right...

We arrived in Gulu late... so we didn't see much of anything... except for a few people who occassionaly ran in front of the car as we were driving...

We woke up early eager to get the conference started on Monday... only 2 pastors were there when we arrived... but that wasn't a problem we just sent out a few people to let them know we had arrived and we had 35 more pastors there within the hour... including a few from Sudan... I guess news travels fast...

By the afternoon Josh started feeling sick... don't freak out and call 10 prayer chains - he's better now and its just part of the story... it gave me a chance to teach on Monday and Scott (the non-Josh), Beck and Buck (pictured left to right below) were able to cover him while he rested on Tuesday...



I needed to get back to teach on Wednesday so the plan was for me to leave by bus on Tuesday... Moses and Jedidiah did some research and found out I could leave on Monday night at 10 PM or Tuesday at 4 AM... I figured I won't be able to sleep if I knew I had to wake up early so I opted for the Monday bus... bad decision...

Moses and Jedidiah dropped me off at 10 PM... th engine was running and the bus was full... according to American standards... but still had room for 20 more Ugandans... so I snuggled up on a 2-seat bench with two other Ugandans and waited for the bus to leave... fortunately for me Buck convinced me to take his I-Pod... I insisted I was going to sleep but he gave it to me anyways... good thinking because I was pressed so tight against the window sleep wasn't an option...

Around 11 PM we still hadn't left and they shut the engine off... hmmmm, I thought to myself... midnight... 1 AM... 2AM... by now I had been on the bus 4 hours... we still hadn't moved and I needed to do something about the 2 Pepsis I had for dinner... so quietly I sneaked off the bus in search of a dark alley in a foreign city... awkward but I survived... 3AM... 4 AM... finally the engine came on again... 20 minutes later we were rolling...

Cramped in my seat I continually praised God for Buck's I-Pod as I proceeded to watch all of The Office Season 2... will Pam ever figure out that Roy is a loser and Jimmy's her soul mate... 6 AM I was car sick again so I couldn't proceed to Season 3... I guess I'll never know... 7 AM the bus stops in the middle of nowhere and we all pretend we can't see the person next to us as 70 men, women and children file off the bus to relieve themselves... one of those times I wish I weren't the lone white man...

10 AM... 12 hours after entering the bus we arrive in Kampala... the traffic jam was so bad and we were going so slow that the driver just left the door open so we could jump off when we wanted... its been awhile since I jumped out of a moving vehicle but fortunately I avoided landing on my face... barely...

I never slept that night and was so happy to be home I forgot to take a nap... been 8 PM I jumped in bed but was so tired I couldn't sleep... instead I ended up staying up and writing this extremely long post... its midnight and I'm tired now I think I'll post it tomorrow...

4 comments:

Jen said...

YOU HAVE TO WATCH SEASON 3! (all caps means I'm screaming at you from across the ocean)....your loving (Office fanatic) sister

Teenietinyt said...

HEY! I saw those guys in Nov 2006 I think! They are super cool!
Good luck on that nap...you have two boys remember!

Yvonne said...

Jaywalk is always sick even at home. Don't be surprised. We really miss him. It's weird to hang with a guy 9 hours out of the week and then have him gone across the planet.

Mike Steinwender said...

You need to make sure next time they are in Uganda, you share the same golf expereince you did with us. We had such a laugh that day!