30 November 2007

Missionary Care

Over the past few months the readership of this blog has expanded far beyond my mother's quilting group...

Many of the new readers have come out to Uganda to visit ARM and have greeted me with bear hugs and similar greetings...

"Dude, are you okay?"

"Your blog is so depressing!"

"Have they put you on medication yet?"

"Are you on a suicide watch-list?"

For those who know me they know that I'm very open and nothing is a forbidden topic... even at the dinner table... my in-laws can attest that their family will never be the same again... and many visitors have found themselves choking on their food as we make our way through various topics throughout a meal...

I see this blog as my diary... except instead of hiding it under my mattress I'm posting it for anyone who wishes to read... in hopes that it will open peoples eyes to life overseas, third world aide, missions and missionary care... or at the very least keep my family connected to old friends and new friends half a world away...

In light of the fact that it has been... in the words of others... dark, depressing, negative and scary... I am committing myself for the next month... or at least the next few days... to some positive ideas for practical missionary care...

So take a look at that 8 year-old postcard on your fridge and consider how you can encourage one of your missionaries half-a-world away...

2 comments:

Flo Oakes said...

I find it totally refreshing to read such an honest account of the mission field. That's one of my biggest annoyances with Christian music-it always, ALWAYS has to be "Positive and Encouraging" which to them, means happy happy happy all the time. I hate it, because it leaves no room for honesty, or for admitting our struggles or trials.

Also, we are very honest at our house too. Fortunately, so are most of our friends. For the last couple of years, the ongoing topic is always childbirth, and Sera is the only 3 year old I know who knows what a uterus is.
She shocked Josh's grandma the first time she met her by asking her, "Great-grandma, who pushed you out??"

Just the way we roll around here:)

Megan said...

Jeff, nothing you can say will ever surprise me after receiving that wonderful (yet horrifying) Secretary's Day gift from you! I think that launched our friendship into a whole new realm of transparency and honesty...perhaps without my consent! :)