09 November 2007

Welcome to the Jungle - Part 4

As I write about the challenges that our friends are facing in their first year I can’t help but look back with laughter and tears at the birth pains of our first year in Uganda…

It seems in each case and in our own situation you arrive an idealist… and upon arrival receive a harsh dose of reality…

In each case there was nothing but good intentions…

But still in each case there was an idealist error…

The McDonald’s should have known the law…

The Fibinachi’s should have signed a contract with their mission’s board…

And the American woman... I'll give a more creative name next time... should have had a plan or at least a personal bank account…

In our case… I should probably go through more counseling… before I open that bag…

But the point I am getting at is that many passionate people hit the field only to get hit by a train… and I wish that they and we were prepared…

Although, I would have to say that in our case and in the case of so many others it’s primarily the missionaries fault for not being prepared…

But then again… can you really be prepared to pack everything, say goodbye to every family member and friend, and then move half-way across the world…

So for the next few days I’ll be on a trip to the town of Gulu in the Northern parts of Uganda to attend a pastoral training seminar… but my hope is to write down a few thoughts about missionaries can prepare themselves and how friends and family back home can support them…

Which just might spare another family from having their story posted on this blog…

UPDATE: My friend, Ronald McDonald paid the fine... turns out there was a Ugandan law written in 1945 banning all hemp. The ironic part of this is that the current gov't approved his plans to experiment with hemp... next time he'll get that in writing! The Fibinachi's are headed home to raise support or to stay home and I hired the American woman to teach at GBI... at least I know she's staying!

No comments: