16 November 2007

When I was a young boy...

Growing up you hear stories from older generations talking about walking to school uphill both ways in the snow...

Our boys won't be impressed...

Noah and Kadin get to 4X4 up and down the hill through the mud in Africa to get to school...

Last week I got a frantic call from Christine saying that she was caught in between 2 cars stuck in the mud and that a large crowd was forming around the cars... without thinking I hoped on the back of a motorcycle and took off to find her... an hour later we had the boys to school and I was covered in mud from the ride to find her and my run down the hill... which the boda driver refused to take me down...

Last night it rained for hours and never let up... I decided to take the "easy" route to school... but along the way our German friend flashed me (with her lights)... seeing she was way off her regular route I decided to follow her figuring the other way was closed...



I did have to navigate through a few slippery passages of mud in the low gears... but when I arrived at the school I saw what all the fuss was about...

It seems the lowlands below the school turned into the lake-lands and block the main road to the school...

I had a visitor from Colorado in the car with me... another Jeff... and we couldn't resist... with a 6-inch lift, over-sized tires and a turbo diesel engine sometimes you need to pass over instead of going around...

As we neared the sight... with Jeff hanging out the window snapping pictures and me grinning with delight... we were greeted by hundreds of Ugandans cheering... "Mizungu, take me on your boat!"



People were getting paid to take people across on their backs... others were making money pushing a Mercedes Benz SUV out of the water... children were cheering - knowing that they had an excuse not to be in school... and other mizungus were staring jealousy no longer thinking that my tires were ridiculous...

We passed through with ease... and Noah and Kadin were 2 of only 5 students who were able to make it to their class today... just another day in paradise...

No comments: