28 December 2007

A Day at Bethany Village

Last week the boys and I tagged along for a day at work with Christine...

It was my first time to Bethany Village to see the farm where Christine oversees the livestock...

The trip began with a 15 minute boat ride to Bethany Village... Bethany is not an island but the roads there are as close as you can get to impassable... it was on this boat ride that I told Christine I would be do a photo documentary of her work at Bethany... as you can see from her response she was excited at the prospect of my documentary...



Once off the boat we jumped onto 2 boda-bodas and took another 15 minute ride to Bethany... I held Kadin while Noah rode with Christine... impressing only myself I took this picture behind my back while holding onto Kadin and trying not to fall off the bike...



Christine always talks about how much she loves Bethany and its relaxed atomosphere... when we pulled up to the orphanage I could see why... the orphanage consists of 10-12 family style homes that have a mother and about 12 children in each house... it also has a primary school, conference center, medical center and farm all looking over the lake... every where you turned there was a beautiful view of the green tropical surroundings or the bright blue lake...



We then took a walk to the farm... the boys gathered sticks so they could hit random trees, plants and animals... when Christine showed up to the farm it was pretty clear that she was the boss as they gathered around for her instructions... she started off her day by measuring and weighing the pigs to track their growth... its kind of funny to watch a small white woman jump in the pig pen because all the Ugandan men around are too scared to jump in themselves... as far as I know... which isn't much... the pigs didn't look like the biting type...



After explaining for the one millionth time to the herdsmen that animals need to be fed everyday... just like humans... it was time to feed the pigs their breakfast at 11 AM... no wonder he's scared of the pigs... I'd bite too if I hadn't had breakfast by 11 AM... Noah immediately got to work and started throwing casava to the pigs...



After the pigs were fed Christine gave some practical tips to the herdsmen... 1) If you can't remember when to feed the pigs just feed them every time you eat 2) If the pigs are decreasing in size it would be good to increase their food intake 3) The pigs are sleeping next to their poop... would you like to sleep next to your poop? ... And on it went... I think he got the point... and if he didn't at least I know know a thing or two about pigs...



Kadin has the attention span of a pastor's kid on a Sunday morning... so he missed out on the pig lesson completely and tried to explain to one of the local boys the joys of hitting anything with a stick... his teaching went over well and soon all the children were armed with sticks and attacking anything that moved...



After about 2 hours the boys were tired and hungry... when I say boys I'm including myself but my fatigue was from saving the orphans from Kadin and his big stick... so we loaded up on the bodas... this time Christine and Noah also took on an extra passenger... Lena, who has been staying with us this month... and off we went in a cloud of dust...



The boys and I were all proud to see mommy at work and now we know about the Bethany Village farm where see escapes to every Wednesday rain or shine...

2 comments:

Sallie said...

Thank you for this blog. We really want to go to Bethany Village next time we visit. We will bring our own sticks so kadin can teach us what to do.

Love, Nanny

Anonymous said...

It's awesome to see pictures of Bethany Village again. I went there this summer and absolutely fell in love with it.