19 December 2007

Stick to Your Calling

Monday wasn't great... but Tuesday was much better...

Christine and I got to cross off a few items on our list of things we've been wanting to do... including a long morning at the coffee shop, shopping for our garden, and watching Jennifer Gardner in The Kingdom... over all a real nice day...

Besides those things we ran into Dick and Sue... missionaries to Uganda for over 15 years... they are in our small group and we ended up sitting with them for an hour while we waited for coffee...

Hanging out with Dick and Sue is like having Micheal Jordan give you a few pointers on your hoops game... Dick trains pastors and Sue is a mid-wife... they have raised 3 (normal) children in Uganda... and they survived their first 2 years with no refrigerator, oven or car... in a city where most missionaries stay 4 years max they are legends... or at the very least survivors...

I got to talking with Dick about the troubles from the day before (read previous post) and some struggles I've been having with humanitarian aide... mainly that I see a huge need for humanitarian aide but I don't feel called to be the guy passing it out...

For example... this last Saturday a neighbor came to our gate with a note... "Please help! My wife and child just died at Mulago hospital and I have no money for the bodies to be released or for burial. I have asked all the neighbors and you are my last hope. Sincerely...."

I didn't feel a desire to help... honestly (which scares some) my first thought was he is a con... and my second thought... or feeling... was guilt... I felt guilty for not caring as much as I thought I should care... so then I thought I should give... is anyone else conflicted?

Dick stopped me and said in a wise fatherly voice... "Jeff, stick to your calling... Jesus could have healed everyone but instead he got in a boat and sailed away because He was called for a different purpose... His calling was to die... what is yours? There are times to give but don't forget what you came to do!"

Afterwards I told him about the guy at the gate... upon describing the story Dick laughed... "He was at my gate last week... I called Mulago and they had never heard of him, the wife or the baby"...

In a country where sorting through ministry opportunities is like drinking through a fire hose... Dick was right on the money... and if I want to last as long as he has following his advice is a good place to start...

2 comments:

Sallie said...

Jeff - That sounds like good advice. You need to have coffee with this couple regularly.

Love, Mom

Teenietinyt said...

Don't you just love it when GOD puts little "advice columns" in your path?!
You and Christine were like that for me...so now you understand why I was always SO THANKFUL to vent in your living room!