05 December 2007

The Weekend

I've been planning on writing about the weekend but its taken 4 days for the pictures to load... thank you AOL (Africa Online)...



Friday afternoon was the first graduation for Gaba Bible Institute... I had lost my voice the day before as part of a week of being sick... but being the only Mizungu around I also ended up preaching at the graduation... always motivating hearing a guy who sounds like he's going through puberty screeching in the microphone...



Wearing a suit in 100 degree heat for a 3 hour ceremony had me wishing for a relaxing evening on the couch... but I had to go home and kill a turkey for our post-CHOGM Thanksgiving cerebration...



Fortunately Tad just moved into the country... he's an MK who grew up in PNG... he jumped at the opportunity to show me how to hypnotize a turkey before you chop its head off... unfortunately he'd only ever done it on chicken so the turkey flopped like crazy... although I wasn't attached to the bird since it started attacking Kadin a week earlier... his lady is sitting on a few eggs and Kadin likes to go smash them...



The next day 30 of our in country friends... including the McDonalds, Jack n' Jill and Dan and Rosie came over for Thanksgiving dinner... we had the traditional touch football game which ended with a Joe Montana to Dwight Clark catch in the endzone... my team won but I wasn't Joe or Dwight... 2 of my students ended up at the party as well and were completely confused when we played futbol with our hands...

The party ended late and I was exhausted... but as soon as my head hit the pillow... or so it seemed... our friend gave a call to say the baby was on its way... unfortunately they don't have a car and its 7 weeks early so I rushed over to the house at 1:30 to race her to the hospital... she's a single mom living with her parents so when the 4 of us showed up it was assumed I was the dad... at 4:30 I rolled into bed... after they were able to stop the labor since there is no NICU in the country...



Instead of sleeping in we got up and prepared to spend all day at a traditional Uganda introduction ceremony... we planned on leaving 2 hours after everyone else so we could skip the 20 stops and 2 hour delay of the start of the ceremony... but fortunately for us they waited for us since we were the honored guests so we got to make all 20 stops and sit around 2 hours waiting for the 5 hour ceremony that wasn't translated into English... The highlight for me was taking pictures of all the photographers... I think the sun got to me...



Wilbur... the groom... is the head of the farm that Christine works on and it was our first chance to met his future bride... I can't remember our name... I was having some nice back spasms during the last 3 hours of the ceremony so all I remember is saying to myself... "It's not that bad I could be a prisoner to the LRA... It's not that bad I could be a prisoner to the LRA..."



The ride home was fun... because I couldn't see all the potholes late at night on Gulu Road... so the 4 guys with us kept hitting their heads on the roof of the car... Monday Noah made brownies for our still pregnant friend and we brought them some dinner...


Shockingly after all that activity I'll sick again... and the headline of the paper today read... 4 Plagues Break Out in Uganda: Ebola, Cholera, Hepatitis... and whatever Jeff has...

But this is a positive month... so don't worry I have great life insurance!

No comments: