09 January 2008

Anything and Everything...

I've been a poor blogger in 2008... Here's a few excuses and a few updates...

Still no internet at our house or at the office... so I can't even surf the net at work like 85% of our loyal readers...

Still a small gas crisis... trucks are coming in from Kenya but no one is saying how many... the black market for gas has gotten so bad that the 3 leading gas companies in Uganda... Shell, Petrocity and Engen... are now publishing their prices daily in the newspaper to help stop corruption... three cheers for them! Although prices are still about $5-6 a gallon...

In the mean time I discovered that I can fill half the tank with diesel and half the tank with vegetable oil and the car still runs great!

Seriously, we have no clue what reports coming out of Kenya are accurate... supposedly they are talking but I don't see how that helps when at the end of the day both guys will still want to be in power and only 1 will...

Being back at work after a month of sick leave and preparing to go to the US in 2 weeks has presented a few challenges... students are reporting on Monday the 14th, a team from Mariners Church in OC is putting on a conference that week, I'm on a committee to bring PASSION to Uganda in May and I need to get everything for my office in line since I will be gone until April 12... this is leaving hardly anytime for the blogging that I do when I'm bored at work!

Christine is flying to Florida on Friday to do a 2 week agriculture internship at ECHO... the boys and I will fly out to meet her on January 22... there is food in the fridge, clean clothes in our drawers and activities to keep us all busy... but there will be 3 sad boys on Friday night when she's gone...

I am coming to grips with the fact that I volunteers to fly 36 hours by myself with the boys... what was I thinking... I think I'll pretend to be a widow in hopes of getting extra help in flight and in the terminals... or if that fails I have some cough medicine to drug the boys...

Leaving the country for an extended stay is a great way to sort out friends... we have received hundreds of requests from people ranging from... Can I live in your house? Can I use your car? Can I borrow all your DVDs and CDs? ...Joseline, Faith, Annet and Apollo will be fending off the swarms of vultures around our home once we are gone... good luck to them!

The boys should be back in school but we decided not to send them for 2 weeks... bad mistake... they are getting stir crazy... so each day they have been taking long walks around the neighborhood saying hi to friends, animals and their favorite food stops... Noah has been telling everyone we are going to Kenya is see his cousin Jason... Kenya and Florida are kind of similar I guess?

4 comments:

Flo Oakes said...

Here I was feeling sorry for myself for having to fly 4 hours alone with the girls to Nashville on Saturday.

You should "stop by" Nashville, I mean..what's a measly 8 hour car trip when you've already flown 36 hours?

Teenietinyt said...

Are you going to be in OC?!?!?! I SO wanna visit!!!!

Jen said...

Dear Noah, on your way to Kenya I hope you have a great time. I'll see you in Florida. I'll bring my trains and we can play Thomas, and Legos. Bye-bye, your cousin, Jason

Aunt Denise said...

Hi Jeff,
Megan figured out for me that I just need to type to respond (I was sure it was more complicated!).
Anyways, have a great time with the boys for 2 weeks. I know you'll do great! I can't see you being able to pull off the 'poor widow' thing - so go with the cough medicine (I always gave more than the bottle said to - just to be sure!). Give your beautiful wife a big hug and kiss for me.
Denise