21 January 2008

Excited... to a small degree...

I played high school football… but I was probably better suited for the cheer squad… getting me excited about something usually isn’t that much of a challenge… but as we look ahead to a trip to the US I’m feeling pretty content to just stay here…

Now I know I’m tired from a month of illness and 10 days of single parenthood… so my energy level could have something to do with it but mainly I think its because I am finally starting to feel settled here and Florida is a chance to get unsettled again.

For May 2005 – December 2007 we moved 10 times… Bunga is just starting to feel like home… from January 2006 – October 2007 I preached in or we visited around 20-25 churches and now we finally have a regular fellowship and small group we are a part of… so I’m not jumping out of my seat to volunteer for another change!

But I think the weirdest thing for me is that everyone around here keeps asking if we are excited to go home… Florida isn’t home… I’ve never been there and I’ve only spent 1 week of my life in that time zone (DC and NC to be exact)… I’ve never eaten at a Cracker Barrel and I still get confused whether the Piggly Wiggly is a farm or store… and the only person I know in Florida is Shaq but even he is looking tired and worn-out…

But I know there is reason to get excited… after a year as missionary nomads we have found a great organization to join… New Missions Systems International -www.newmissionsystems.org… I’m just hoping that I’m not that annoying know-it-all guy during our 10 week “how to be a missionary course?”… but then again it might give me more to write about… also after an experience where many of our troubles were compounded by the fact that our agency didn’t know us or trust us I’m excited for a chance to get to know them and be known by them… although I am a little nervous that they might stumble onto this blog and see all my ranting and raving…

So today Noah, Kadin and I are packing our bags and doing everything in our power to make sure this house is still standing when we return in April… scratch that… Kadin’s most likely to knock this place over… then tomorrow we will leave for the airport at 3 PM… take a 2 hour flight to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia… then a 17 hour flight to Washington DC (with a 1 hour re-fueling stop in Rome)… then a 3 hour flight to Miami… then a 45 minute flight to Fort Myers… all told with lay-overs I have 36-40 hours of travel coming up with just me and the boys… we will survive… I’m just worried about the poor people who have to sit next to us!

1 comment:

Flo Oakes said...

The Piggly Wiggly IS a store.
I know this now.