16 January 2008

January 16, 2006

January 16, 2006 is a day I will never forget for 2 reasons…

First, January 16, 2006 was the day that we left LAX on a one-way ticket to Uganda… we had said thousands of goodbyes already and chose to just have a quiet day as we finished packing at Christine’s parents house… we took the Super Shuttle to the airport around 5 PM because at that point one more goodbye would have been one more too many… the boys sat in their car seats totally clueless as too what was taking place and Christine and I sat in silence holding hands… probably because if one of us spoke we (mainly I) would have burst into tears… the real reason I should have cried was for trying to make it through LAX airport security with 12 bags, 2 toddlers and 50 pounds of dead weight that I shoved into my backpack… last time we go to the airport alone by choice... the good news is we made it!

Second, January 16, 2006 will also be remembered as the birth of stonesinuganda… as I sat there wondering what in the world I could do to keep my mind busy until the Super Shuttle came at 5 PM my friend Chris gave a call and said the most inspiring words… “dude, you should start a blog about freaky things that happen in Africa… a few people might read it” … and so the journey began and for the first time since collecting baseball cars I had a hobby… so thanks to Chris Kottre for the inspiring words, thanks to mom and her bridge club – our first loyal readers, and thanks to all of you who avoid 5 minutes of work each day and sign on to stonesinuganda…

4 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for taking the time to blog, Jeff. We really enjoy it and like to keep up with what's going on with you guys.

Sallie said...

Jeff -
I read this blog everyday. It is such a good way to keep up with you and your precious family. Thank you for your diligence in keeping up with it in spite of unreliable internet and power.

I remember January 14, 2006 as the day we said goodbye. Dad and I hated to let you go but knew this was the right thing for you. Praise God for His hand in your life.

By the way, I don't play bridge - I quilt, but I don't play bridge!

Love, Mom

Teenietinyt said...

Are you kidding me...this is a hobby for me. I recommend this blog like a good book to my friends!

marcie said...

I'm so proud of you guys for sticking with it through that difficult first year. I am so glad, though that after all of that, you were led to ARM and I believe you are truly making a difference! The blog has also been a part of my morning routine and has been a great way to share God and Uganda with friends and co-workers. I definitely think it has been preparing me for my next trip!