03 January 2008

Kenya’s Elections are Uganda’s Problems

I haven’t seen a newspaper in weeks… I haven’t watched the news in 2 years… but I can tell you all the East African news you need just from a trip to the gas station…

On Tuesday morning Christine and I went out shopping and thought everyone was just hung over from the holidays… if only it were that easy… no one was out and the shopping what would have normally taken 5 hours was completed in less than 2…

On the way home we finally saw people… or specifically 40+ cars lined up at every gas station… Kenya we have a problem…

Never one to follow the crowd I pulled up at the only gas station without a line… they had no diesel but plenty of answers… Kenya, the major port country for all of East and Central Africa just held their elections… rumor has it the president lost but decided to stay in power… thrilled with his decision to steal the election they people began rioting in the streets…

It appears the army supports him because he is still in power as for as the gas attendants could tell… but apparently he ticked off the boarder patrol because they all abandoned their posts to go turn over cars… so the military closed all the boarders…

Kenya supplies Uganda with all our petrol and diesel… so we are officially grounded… well, at least our planes are…and gas prices are through the roof… yesterday I filled up at $8 a gallon… today it is $24 a gallon if you can find a station that is open…

This means that people can’t afford to get to work… today half of the staff is at GBI… specifically those in walking distance… most stores are closed because even if the workers came in the shipments of supplies did not come…

If I were to take a nap today… which sounds like a good idea… I’d do it in the middle of the road because no one is driving…

If I wanted some alone time… which isn’t normal for me… I’d go to the city because everyone is stuck in the village…

If I wanted to stop the riots in Kenya… here’s what I’d do:

1) They have our fuel so lets take their power… Uganda is the leading supplier of electricity to East Africa… cut them off until they get some sense or lose their voices from screaming at their rallies into microphones with no power…

2) Stage a coup… riots don’t hurt the president they only hurt the people… rioters steal from the markets not the president… rioters turn over their countrymen’s cars and currently light fuel trucks on fire… you’re only hurting yourselves… storm the presidential palace and take it by force… I’m sure they could find a western nation to fund it through back channels… it has worked for Edi Amin and Museveni here in Uganda…

3) Except defeat… the next guy will become just as bad once the power gets to his head… at least with this guy you know what you are getting…

I’m pretty sure my ideas won’t be accepted or fall on listening ears… but this is all the guy at the gas station and I could think of as I complained and as he pumped the gas…

I'm starting to miss Bush and $3 a gallon...

3 comments:

Teenietinyt said...

Yeah, I have been following this madness online...and I am pretty thankful I am not in Kenya right now.
But I wouldn't mind the vacation!!!
I had the same idea about cutting off the power source...as if that kind of idea would even occur to Museveni

Anonymous said...

Jeff Atherstone! I saw a link to your blog on Flo's page and of course I just had to come and lurk. Now I don't feel so negative and whiny about spending my last 20 bucks on gas out here in Cali. Goodluck to you in all your work and endeavors - God Bless.

Margo Lund

Lena said...

Now...did someone give you the tip on the veggie oil or did you just get soooo desprite that you starting going through the pantry? Just curious....