26 January 2008

Tree-Hugger Paradise

We have been having been spending our first week in Florida at ECHO... the agricultural research center... its a little different from what I expected... no blue mangos... but they do research the effects of voodoo on papaya trees...



Overall its been perfect... Christine works in the garden from 8-12 and then does research in the library from 1:30-5... while the boys and I get to play trucks, wander through the gardens and chase random animals... its given us a chance to recover from the from the the flight and the surroundings... banana and papaya trees, endless dirt paths and eco-friendly toilets... give us a touch of home...



ECHO is 85 acres of ag research... but I was a bit surprised that Noah and I could wander around for hours at a time and not run into anyone... finally I came to the conclusion that the reason why people get involved with agriculture is because they don't like working with people... I'm in introverts paradise... Christine initially balked at my conclusion but after 3 hours of working in silence with the 12 other interns she popped the question... and its true... the only extravert on the property is in charge of public relations...



Meanwhile the boys and I kept busy driving tractors, moving dirt and in general trying not to annoy all the quiet workers...



We'll be here until Sunday and then we will move over to the community housing at New Mission Systems International... pictures and a report is coming as soon as we have a clue how things operate over there...



In the mean time we are we'll enjoy some Florida oranges on roids,endless paths for pushing trucks and a little peace and quite before we jump into our "how to be a missionary" training... its about time I find out!

No comments: