19 February 2008

Kadin, No like Doctors!

There are many positives to this story...

1) We just took family photos...

2) We were already at the doctor's office...

3) We are getting full use of our insurance benefits...

Aside from attending boot camp and Friday nights at Costco... our main social activity is going to the doctor... last week we as a family had 5 appointments and this week we have 7... we're over-achievers...

So far its been great... due to the snow birds most of the doctors here deal with skin cancer and prostate exams... so seeing a young family with malaria, brucellosis and parasites from East Africa is a real treat for them...

Today we were at the pediatricians for the boys physical exams... I love the doctors offices here because they have huge waiting rooms with toys were the boys can run around... much unlike the cramped concrete hallways we stand in waiting for doctors in Uganda...

We were in the waiting room with another family... mama was a big southern woman who called her boy "man" and her daughter "lady"... "Man! Get down from there if you know what's good for you!" ..."Lady! Stop running or I'll make you stop!"

Wanting to exhibit a different style of parenting I chased the boys around, watched the fishes with them and encouraged boy-like behavior... until Kadin crawled on top of one of those kids play table things and onto the window sill... calmly I walked over and today Kadin to climb down...

Kadin being much like one of his parents... who will remain anonymous... decided to do a little dance first as he prepared to climb down... but he slipped and took a big fall instead... CALMLY! I lovingly picked my crying son up only to see his small tooth poking through the skin below his lip... big southern mama definitely wasn't looking to me for parenting advice anymore...

Without making a scene I walked him to the receptionist to see if this got us into the doctor sooner... Kadin coughed blood onto the counter which also helped the process...

I find it amazing how many staff are available at busy doctors office when a kid sends a tooth through his gums... we were hurried to the office ER... here 2 nurses debated over which doctor knew how to do stitches... I suggested the stronger doctor since holding a screaming 2 year old might be part of the equation... Kadin elevated his screaming level at this time and my argument won out...

At this point they left and I didn't see another office staff for 20 minutes... while Kadin asked for cookies and juice... I guess since teeth and gums were involved food was on his mind... after the 20 minutes breezed by feeling only like 2 hours a 110 pound 70-year old doctor came in with 2 nurses...

After one look at Kadin he asked if it would be okay to strap him down... I said only as long as we can keep the strapping device for him at home... I don't think he enjoyed my humor as much as I did seeing that Kadin was still going strong in the screaming department...

They brought out one of those back boards that they put people on with broken necks as they are airlifting them to the hospital... only it was Kadin size... once he was strapped down... across the head, chest, arms, waist and legs... it still took me and the 2 nurses to hold him down...

"KADIN, NO LIKE DOCTORS!" was the scream that could be heard all the way to Atlanta as they numbed his lip and tied him with 2 stitches...

By now it was 4:30 and we had been at the doctor since 2:45 so the doctor suggested that we reschedule his exam and schedule another appointment to take out the stitches... I think both coincide with this particular doctors days off...

Some how we managed to turn one doctors office visit into 3 but at least our supports can be comforted that we are getting full use of our insurance benefits... and for a happy ending Kadin was soon smiling while eating his cookies and juice... and nothing poured out the hole in his face!

3 comments:

Flo Oakes said...

Oh man....I can NOT believe this all went down IN the doctor's office...hahaha...that is amaaaazing!!! And, a Kadin sized board?...so cute and so sad!
Poor little guy.

We had to take Amelie in to get x-rayed once. How do they x-ray a then, 12 month old you ask?
They stick the baby in on a baby-sized bicycle seat, and then something that looks like those plastic tubes you use at the drive though bank encloses around the child, while they can only peek out at you through the little baby face sized hole in the tube.

So precious, and creepy at the same time.

I still can't get over this. It will be one of "those" stories he tells as an adult, "One time I bit through my lip IN the doctor's office"...Classic.

Jen said...

When I worked in the peds office we would send head injuries straight to the ER, I guess no one likes to be responsible for leaving a kid with a scar for life. However, I've never had the pleasure of a kid injuring himself in our waiting room and bleeding on my desk. So let's award Kadin a gold star for irony... someday he'll laugh....

marcie said...

I cracked my chin open as a little kid and had to get strapped to one of those things. I still have issues...