16 February 2008

Missionary Boot Camp - Part 4

It's been a busy week over here in the Fort Myers Barracks... I won't attempt a minute by minute recap... maybe just a few highlights...

It's been less PT and more classroom time this week...

On Monday we took a field trip to ECHO... the boys got to run wild through the plantains while we learnt about raising chicks and growing corn on rooftops...

On Tuesday they explained that in your first year on the field you learn a ton but think you learned more than you actually know... in your second year you critique and develop a deeper understanding of year one... but often it is painful, frustrating, disappointing and even disillusioning... which leads to a fair amount of cynicism...

So for those who have gotten tired of my tone and perspective on Uganda there is hope... in year three the understanding goes deeper still... relationships grow deeper and more honest... and a foundation is laid to help draw the best understanding leading to success in the culture..

On Wednesday they explained that the most effective years in a new culture are years 6-11... which means we are less than 4 years away from understanding, successful and most effective... look out 2012 here we come!

We celebrated Valentine's Day early and I took Christine to Joe's Crab Shack... its amazing how good fish can taste when it isn't being pulled out of a polluted lake... I have an amazing ability for pulling the meat out of the crab legs... so if anyone wants to take us there and buy me crab... feel free...

On Thursday I spent 5 hours of my Valentine's Day at the doctors office amazing him with my medical history... it was like taking the 1st chair of the Tuba section to band camp... he couldn't believe the parasites, viruses and over-all malfunctions of my body... he was so impressed he ordered 25 blood tests, requested 4 vials of stool and took a full set of chest x-rays... I think he likes me too (or maybe it was just the Valentine spirit) but he set-up 4 more appointments over the next 3 weeks...

Friday flew by... I think my mind just had a screen-saver on... all I can remember is the greatest Friday night activity in the world... COSTCO... seriously there is nothing more exciting than throwing the boys in the oversized cart and walking every aisle in amazement... 48 rolls of toilet paper for $4... 36 D Batteries of $12... 4 lbs of blueberries... a cooked chicken with real meat on the bones for $4.99... and on and on... then you check out and dinner is right there... you can feed the whole family for less than $10... either Costco is the closest place to heaven on earth or I live the most pathetic existence... but man I love that place!

This weekend is the Festival of Lights in Fort Myers... supposedly Thomas Edison retired in Florida like 50% of all senior citizens in the US... there is a 5K tonight so Christine and I will be going for our record times... then there is a parade that goes right past our place...

Other than that we are a making friends, learning a ton and doing more homework than your average high school sophomore...

1 comment:

Lena said...

I will be curious to find out what the doc comes up with!! Keep us posted Mr. Medical Mystery Man =)