26 February 2008

Missionary Boot Camp - Part 5

Drinking through a fire hose is great when you are thirsty and if you have strong teeth... but after awhile a caring person may want to spit the water out on the fire....

I find myself loving the "learning" part of our experience... but I also find myself daydreaming of putting it all into practice right away... which is hard to do 8 time zones away...

One of the ideas that has moved me the most... seeing that just about everything is moving me... is the idea of training up nationals to be missionaries to other countries...

One of the staff members here was part of planting a missional church in Brazil that has now sent missionaries to Zimbabwe, Myanmar and East Timor... I didn't even know that the last two were real countries until arriving here... but it only makes me love the idea more! Form the very beginning the church was designed to disciple and train believers to go to the nations...

Being in a country... that apart from my own personal census... has been labeled a Christian nation... this idea of sending the nationals really excites me... I work at a school were the students can't stop talking about being international ministers... all I need to do is help prepare them to go... and convince them that the US is not the only country they should visit...

While these thoughts have been floating through my head I received an email from one of my students...

Pastor Jeff, may be you have never known this, GBI has highly blessed my life in terms of ministry that I can no longer teach God’s people my mind but teach them the True Word from the Bible…Your Intentions are to change Africa in your renewal programs but I think it will exceed that because I believe God has called us for many Nations and to the Nations I will go!
Eddie


This stuff is so easy... I haven't said anything yet and I already for the first volunteer to go...

There's other things we are learning too... beyond tying knots and climbing rope ladders... tomorrow Glenn J. Schwartz the author of "When Charity Destroys Dignity" is coming to speak at our Perspectives class... there are probably only 2 people who read this blog that this sentence excites... but for those who don't know what I'm talking about I'll say it another way...

I've had 1,462 questions about dependency, fundraising and charity work in Uganda and tomorrow a man with 1,463 answers is coming to class... its like the night before Christmas and this geek can't sleep...

Many other great things I'd look to write about... but if the drill instructors catch me blogging instead of doing homework... I'm afraid it will be potato peeling time again for me...

No comments: