30 March 2008

The End and The Beginning

Our time at missionary boot camp has ended… we now know how to survive off grasshoppers and maggots… how to make coverings out of bamboo and clay… how to convert 1500 villagers to Jesus per week… and how turn support pennies (or shillings) into gold…

Well maybe it wasn’t that incredible but it sure was close…

I feel refreshed… I didn’t realize how tired I was… I had convinced myself that I had to get everything right… learn the culture… understand the people… embrace the country… all great things but entirely exhausting when the standard you set is perfection…

I feel renewed… I didn’t realize how difficult it would be to leave our church home for Uganda… but in our time at missionary boot camp I’ve been… encouraged… loved… cared for… and I will unashamedly admit… I need each of these on an ongoing basis…

I feel connected… sorry another “r” word would have sounded like a 3 point sermon… after resigning from our first agency our needs were met and our supporters showed us great care… but we were without a team who could help us complete our goals and coach us along the way… we have that now… a team that works with and believes in us…

Our new team has asked us to stay in Fort Myers… but just for 6 more weeks…

It will be a time to sit with the field advisors and lay out ministry plans and strategies… plans and strategies are nothing new to us… but this will be the first time to have people of experience helping us make… realistic and attainable… plans and strategies…

It will be a time to reconnect with our supporters… although still 3 time zones away… by having our support money sent to 3 different locations in the last 15 months we managed to lose a few supports along the way… this will be our chance to reconnect with those we have lost contact with and raise up others to support our tribe…

Finally, it will be a time of rest… June 1, 2008 will mark my 10th consecutive year of full-time ministry… the longest break or vacation I’ve ever taken was 2 weeks… but unfortunately… because this is nothing to brag about… most of those vacations were filled with seminary term papers, guest preaching at camps and churches and a cell phone that never stopped ringing… so without any guilt I’m going to take it easy… because I want to finish the next 10 years standing strong… instead of limping to the finish line…

2 comments:

Julie said...

Awesome, Jeff!

Jesse Frame said...

so, i must have missed the class on grasshoppers and maggots...
just wanted to leave my mark on the famous blog of blogs.
i might just start cutting and pasting your blog entries to mine...