23 March 2008

Give me a… A!

A is for assessment… at boot camp we have been under the gun since day one… but not so much to find what is wrong with us… we are human and there is plenty wrong with us… we have been under the gun to share what we know is broken in us… I’ve never been in an environment like this…

Usually the pressure is to act like you have it all together… here it is just assumed you don’t… it seems that here they understand that broken people are the most qualified to help broken people find healing…

I was expecting IQ tests, WWJD tests and PT tests as part of the assessment process… but there have been no tests… just a community seeking to know us as best they can…

Assessment takes place in various forms… our post-field de-brief, weekly meetings with our COAT link, a weekly processing time for the COAT group and various one-on-ones with just about anyone on staff… including the mission President…

What has stuck out the most during this time of assessment… other than the fact that I don’t have it all together… is the grace the staff has shown us… many church communities talk about grace and some even include it in their name… but I have never experienced grace the way we have here…

It almost seems funny that in a religion where we are saved by grace alone we try to act like we don’t need it… and often we with hold it from others…

What I have enjoyed about our assessment is that the more my sin and hurt is revealed… the more this community embraces me… and isn’t that what every Christian community should be… a place where we can be honest about sin and honest about our need for grace…

So after 8 weeks of assessment… I have my own assessment of this place… it’s a community of grace… the best community for me… and the type of Christian community that I want my boys to see…

1 comment:

Teenietinyt said...

I am actually jealous of this place you describe. It is unfortunately ironic that the church is sometimes the hardest place to find the things JESUS talked the most about.