26 March 2008

Give me a…. T!

I can’t hide my… C… O… A… T… Pride!

It is the final week of COAT and by Friday we will officially be missionaries… or to be specific… fully affiliated NMSI missionaries…

I not sure if there is a blood ceremony, company tattoo or branding process… did I just use a comma… but whatever the ceremony we are thrilled to be a part…

That being said… T is for Training… and I am so glad that we went through this training after 2 years on the field…

I’d love to say I’m a top student in any situation… but the last time I was in school I did a 3-year program in 4.5 years… I had a nameplate fixed to a seat in the back row… and I graduated with a mini cum laude …

I’d like to think of myself as an independent learner… my favorite teachers being personal mistakes and books with interesting covers… my favorite classmates being ones who know not to ask questions if the teacher is leaning towards letting us out early… my favorite classroom being a round table discussion with people of differing views and the humility to interact with the other side…

All that being said… I think 2 years of a few triumphs and many trials in the third world had me itching for some training… and training is what we got…

We attended courses on spiritual formation, life goal planning, support raising, financial stewardship, global issues such as HIV/AIDS, and practical aspects of living cross-culturally… seriously I just copied this off the website… but they delivered everything they promised…

A highlight for me took place in our Perspectives course this last week… it was a 3 hour lecture on the history of missions… that sounds SO BORING… but here’s the catch… our lecture was David Howard… a central figure in the last 50 years of world missions and the brother of Elizabeth Elliot… it didn’t sound like history at all… it was interesting…

I could go on and on about other highlights… but I did and it sounded boring so I deleted it… so here’s the skinny… I feel more equipped than ever to minister to the people in Uganda… and for the first time ever I am part of a team that can help me put together a plan be an effective, happy and healthy missionary… there I go with the comma again… I must have learned more than I thought…

3 comments:

Abigail said...

ah man! who told you about the nmsi tattoo?

Teenietinyt said...

Jeff I am SO EXCITED for you guys...it sounds like GOD just prepped you for BIG THINGS!!!!

Teenietinyt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.