30 April 2008

Non-missionary Guilt...

I got to hang out with a friend this weekend… while fun – draising… a friend I’ve known since the days of dodgeball and chasing girls with coodies…

He’s a civil servant… the type that doesn’t get paid to sleep at work or play with fire…

We had fun hanging out and catching up…

He said something that I think many people feel around missionaries… here’s the paraphrase:

“Jeff, I feel guilty around you… “

“Why?”

“You’re in the jungle saving the world and I’m in suburbia living the dream”

“What’s wrong with living in suburbia?”

The conversation continued… I probably said something profound and life changing… of which I’ll never remember and neither will he… but if I had it over here is what I’d say…

“Why feel guilty? Often we feel our calling is our job but God's calling is bigger than a job... He is calling us to follow Him. Following God for me means living in Uganda training pastors and following God for you means passing out DUI’s and speeding tickets and sending me a ton of monthly support!”

He signed up online today to support us and now he is a part of training pastors in Uganda… and so should you… click on “NMSI Donations” under the Tribal Host to support us today… thanks for sending us back to the jungle…

No comments: