10 April 2008

Passion World Tour... Coming to Uganda...

On Monday I drove from Hartford to Boston… flew from Boston to Atlanta… had a 3.5 hour meeting… flew from Atlanta to Boston… drove from Boston back to Hartford…

14 hours of travel for a 3.5 hour meetings wouldn’t really be worth the effort if I was selling Eskimo Pies… or attending a Star Trek convention… but in this case it was worth it…

I got to spend the day… or 3.5 hours… with a group of volunteers who put together the Passion weekends… no… I’m not talking about naked hippies spending the weekend at natural hot springs… Passion exists to glorify God-uniting students in worship and prayer for spiritual awakening in this generation…. Copied and Pasted straight off their website… www.268generation.com

I’m involved because Passion is coming to Uganda… May 30, 31… 30,000 college students are expected to be gathered at Makerere University… I get to help round up a few volunteers and make sure the American ones are “somewhat” prepared to enter a different culture…

The team asked me to give a few pointers… a thing I’m usually willing to do… even if no one is asking… so for the enjoyment of all here are a few of Jeff’s Tribal Tips for a week in the Jungle…

Speech

They speak English… British English… its different at times… for example a Ugandan might say “You’re looking smart today”… that doesn’t mean you looked dumb yesterday and they aren’t calling you a nerd… they just like your clothes…

The key to speaking to Ugandans is to be natural… don’t pick up an accent your first day… you’ll end up sounding like the Indian guy who works at 7-11 on the Simpsons… don’t speak louder… they aren’t deaf… don’t speak Lugandan words the children yell at you unless your sure what they mean… remember what was funny to you at 13?

Stuff

Watch your backpack… because someone else is probably watching it too … I only had my backpack stolen once… but it had my passport, plane tickets, wallet, cell phone and teaching notes for the next week inside… lesson learned… the worse part is that it made the Ugandans I was hanging out with feel horrible… because they were embarrassed by their fellow countrymen’s actions…

Self

If you’re white… you’re going to stick out like a nun at a Grateful Dead concert… get used to it… but like MJ said “It doesn’t matter if I’m black or white” … the racism that exists in the US or South Africa doesn’t exist here… you don’t need to call them African Americans… because half of that statement isn’t true… I’m black and they are white… pretty obvious but many visitors have no idea what to call the Ugandans and get themselves all tongue tied… try friend, amigo, rafiki or mukwano… English, Spanish, Swahili or Lugandan… it all means the same thing… you came to be their friend…

Stay tuned for more tribal tips…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your tribal tips!

jroliam said...

its coming to my former university
but i feel it should be open for all not only students.