11 April 2008

Warden Message - Demonstrations in Downtown Kampala

We get these all the time... but I found this one to be hilarious...

Embassy Kampala has received information that demonstrations are taking place in downtown Kampala. Reports indicate that demonstrations are in progress near the Old and New Taxi Parks (by the Shoprite Supermarket at Clock Tower Roundabout), in the Ndeeba area, and also near Nakasero Market. In addition, Ben Kiwanuka Road, Buganda Road, George Street, and the roads around Constitutional Square and the Central Police Station are reportedly closed.

This is the funny part...

The demonstrators are primarily "boda boda" and "matatu" taxi drivers protesting the enforcement of traffic regulations and the associated fines. Police have been deployed in response to the protests.


Protesting the enforcement of law... what amazes me is that everyone else hasn't gathered together to protest the lack of enforcement on boda boda and matatu drivers...

If you've never driven in Uganda this isn't funny... just laugh anyway... it won't hurt...

4 comments:

Lena said...

I got a good laugh from that one... what enforcement?? or rather, what traffic regulations?? From my experience its a drive to survive zone and the biggest vehicle wins!

Kelly said...

That's funny! But no one can control the boda boda drivers.

Teenietinyt said...

CRACKS me up when I remember riding a boda-boda from the Embassy market back to Ggaba...long drive, and I can't even remember how many times I almost lost my legs, arms, ears, nose, feet...or my head

Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?