13 May 2008

Crisis Management

This week is black-out week at NMSI... the whole CGO team cancels trips to the field and locks themselves up in the office for a week or until something amazing happens... its my first and I've been told it isn't the norm... but I sure am enjoying this abnormal week... all 1 days of it so far...

The theme is Crisis Management... which sounds like contradiction of terms... who am I to stop an earthquake, cyclone or random act of violence...

...

Recently I've been annoyed at Floridians... and I'm not talking about the restaurants closing at 6 PM on weeknights and 5 PM on weekends...

It's the part about all the motorcycle riders and Harley groupies riding around without any helmets... I sit and wonder how many state dollars are spent on scrapping mid-life crisis sized chunks of brain of the pavement...

The view is great from up here on horse...

...

Today while we were learning how to schedule and manage our crisis' we began a discussion on risk assessment... I sat in a circle with a group of 5 friends and talked about the risks of living in Uganda and assessed the probability of those risks becoming an actual crisis... or something to that nature...

Here are my top 5
1. Political instability
2. Gas and food shortages
3. Tribal wars
4. Oil discoveries on the Uganda / Congo border
5. Damage to the Jinja Dam resulting in no electricity for most of East Africa

If I were to list a 6th it would be... days the internet doesn't work and I forget how to breathe...

A few minutes later a former Kenyan missionary walked over and asked about my house with an 8-foot fence, electrified barbed-wire and an armed guard... "isn't theft a risk?"

The he asked how I get back and forth to work each day... "I ride on the back of a motorcycle with a stranger while not wearing a helmet"... stupid Floridians?

...

Some people might move to Florida and think... wow, this place is amazing... "I can ride all day while tanning my balding head..."

Some missionaries might move to Uganda and...

...

If your traveling to Uganda this summer... look for me... I'll be in the taxi...

4 comments:

Lena said...

20 people all crammed into a taxi can be risky too...Ebola comes to mind =)

BigAl said...

Dude,

Get a squid lid!! People stair at you anyways because of your stunning good looks or because your a muzungu riding on the back of a boda, boda in Uganda. At least on the back of a boda, boda you have a shot at jumping into the jungle before being plowed by a fuel tanker driving on the wrong side of the road with his lights off, because he doesnt want to burn the light bulb out. Just a thought... Or you could end up like the guy we met at the orphanage who spent his first three months in the hospital after taking a taxi ride from the airport.

Jeff said...

I must agree... riding a taxi isn't much better... maybe it's time I learn to travel through time and space... like Desmond...

Teenietinyt said...

JEFF YOU CRACK ME UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!