10 May 2008

Trying to Live Boldly

Every morning I check the latest news updates about the Myanmar cyclone. The stories get grimmer and angerier as aid is confiscated, rejected, and slowed. Myanmar is a country on the other side of the world. The only reason I know that Myanmar exists is from reading a biography about Adoniram Judson when I was a teenager.
Its easy for me to fit this neatly into my little box of natural disasters and blisfully go about my day. After all these are people so far away, so different than me.
But what keeps coming back to stop me in my tracks is God's great love for the nations. That Perspectives class will never let me think about the world without a pain in my heart. I don't know a single Burmese person, but I deeply desire to be like Christ. I grimace using that phrase "be like Christ." It seems so old and tired, so overused and misrepresented. But what is clear throughout Scripture and time is that God loves us fiercely, inexplicably. That love is not because I am white, American, Christian or want to be like Him. God loves without boundaries. And this fact compels me to rethink my apathy over what has happened and is happening in Myanmar.
The cleanup seems enormous, the need immeasurable. I think of what it will take to get these Burmese back in homes, back providing for themselves and their families. I think of the diseases multiplying in the water from dead bodies, dead animals and sewage.I think of the increased risk of malaria and dengue fever with all that standing water. I think about how is it going to be nearly impossible to reach all the rural areas when there are no passable roads. I think about how people are going to get water when there is no way to reach them. And whatwil happen in six months when donor fatigue sets in, but when there will still be so much to be done to re-build roads, re-install electricity and telecomunnication lines. And how are people going to re-plant when everything was washed away. I still have a million questions and not many answers. So what can I do, just me, just one person who cares? Will it even matter if I do something???? The need is so great that it doesn't seem like what I do matters.
I will sort some of this out, some will remain lingering in my mind and some may never really be answered. However, I am not going to let all my questions and concerns stop me from taking some action.

4 comments:

gurneys said...

Our Pastor, Tom recently visited (march) Myanmar to encourage a local ministry providing homes, meals a and bible teaching to children. He is currently awaiting his visa to return to help the local christians already in action. Our Pastor, Tom accompainied a friend, Roger Oakland who has established these homes in honor of his dead son Bryson. All this to say Tom is carrying in much needed money from Understanding the Times Ministry to support the Christians serving the communities there. http://www.understandthetimes.org/
Pray he gets his visa and is accepted at the border. As visa's are not securing entry. Also we know that KP Ohanan is already on the ground with the Gospel for Asia ministers (about 500) serving the communities in the name of the Lord. Pray and support these Christians as they are helping in any capacity all in the name of the Lord.

greg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
greg said...

Hey Christine,
i hope its ok, i posted this on my facebook... i was really blessed in reading it. I want to cuss really loud when I think of the injustice the Junta is brining upon its people... Yet I know that they will be judged more severely as they have been entrusted with the lives of the people under their rule. Justice will come, but... man i'm so frustrated. And reading this gives me balance.. and directs me to action, so thanks. I'm excited that there are NMSI people on the ground. How is the fund drive going? How are they doing? Reading and watching BBC isn't very encouraging...

Christine said...

Today World Vision was denied landing 2 cargo planes in Yangoon with two water treatment plants. Part of me sympathizes with the government and part of me is upset. It seems that wherever America puts it foot, it also leaves its culture.I can't blame the Burmese government for wanting to protect itself and its culture. I also know that where aid is concerned there is also the petty squabbling for turf and things done a certain way. It hurts to know that each day of delays more Burmese are dying without knowing their Savior.