20 June 2008

Burundi Boys... Alain

I usually don’t like it when a student asks me for a personal favor on the first day I meet them…

No… I do not want to be your dad,,, sponsor… care taker… or rich-gift-giving friend…

This may sound harsh but I know what I came to do… I came to teach… I came to equip African leaders to lead… I didn’t come to be an ATM machine…

So when Ndayiragite Alain came into my office last week looking for a favor my stomach sank…

But I found myself asking him “what can I do for you?”

He simply asked me to pray that God would provide him with the funds to continue his education at GBI… he had started in January with the promise that someone would pay for his schooling… they never did…

But in 3 months he had conquered English and he was fighting with Moses and John Peter for the top spot in my theology class…

His vision for the future is to be an evangelist in Burundi… giving hope to the hopeless through the message of the cross… but instead of desiring a stage and large audience he sees himself sitting in homes with people who have suffered great lose and sharing the message personally with anyone and everyone who will listen… I have an idea that he sees himself visiting every home in Burundi…

So I agreed to pray… usually these things don’t move me like his request did… compassion, mercy and giving are 3 spiritual gifts that I am sure I don’t have… or they come in limited quantities... but as I prayed I felt moved to help…

I had a trump card that I had been holding onto… a friend and loyal stonesinuganda follower… had offered to sponsor a student and asked me to pick the student out…

When I informed Alain his response was great… “God has heard and answered our prayers!”

Before long Alain is going to be sitting in some home enjoying a cup of tea and bringing with him a message of hope that has the power to transform that family… and that nation….

1 comment:

Sallie said...

Jeff - I love it when you write about your students. I've especially enjoyed reading about the Burundi Boys. What a blessing they are to GBI, to us who get to read about them, and to their country.

Mom