19 June 2008

Burundi Boys... John Peter

On Wednesday in chapel I could not help but notice that the 2 guys leading worship looked exactly alike…

Now more than once I have heard an American say that all Africans look the same… but the comforting news is that their stereotypes says that all mizungu (white people) look the same… I’m constantly asked if Francis Chan is my brother…

Unwilling to admit that I cannot tell 2 Africans apart after living here for 2.5 years I asked Wilondja Moses if he was related to the other singer… winning the random change game of “Is that your tribesman?” he informed me that the other signer was his brother… Kitungano John Peter…

John Peter is actually his older brother… and when he saw how well Moses spoke English after only 3 months at GBI he decided to join him in January of this year…

4 months later he too is studying theology in English…

I asked John on Wednesday what his plans were after he finishes at GBI… his answer surprised me…

“I want to help my friends to stop killing their enemies and then I want to translate the curriculum from this school into our language and teach my friends about the Bible… we have known war since ’93 and now I want my friends to know peace”

All Africans are not the same… Moses and John Peter are not like our Buganda students who have only known peace since ’86… for them all they can remember is war…and with that comes a sense of urgency… the type that cannot wait a second to bring change to their lives, their families, their friends and their nation…

Moses and John Peter are eager to bring change to Burundi and aren't willing to let this opportunity to study English and Theology at GBI pass them by...

1 comment:

Dyllis said...

Good for people to know.