25 June 2008

Help that Hurts...

It seems when you desire joy Satan’s response is to seek to rob you of your joy…

I want to have joy… Satan delivered a direct kick to my groin this morning…

After sharing George’s testimony it is hard to turn my attention to this subject but I feel it is a story I need to share… so I can process… and so to serve as an example of “help” that leads to “hurt”…

***

As a school GBI is struggling financially… no need to dwell on that… and we were so encouraged because a large church from Texas came this week on a “vision trip” seeking ministries to sponsor in Uganda…

On Tuesday I gave them a tour of the school and shared our vision… they seemed excited… gave a few “Amens” and “bless you brother” pats on the back on their way out… later that afternoon I received word that they wanted to minister in chapel today and interview some students…

I was pumped… God has brought a new church to partner with us…

They came to chapel and their pastor preached the sermon… it was amazing… in his intro he repeated many of the things we talked about the day before…

They were seeking “partnerships” in Africa…

They wanted to see African leaders trained because if change is to take place in Africa that change needs to be lead by Africans…

I started taking notes… the team was video taping the students response to the sermon…

His sermon was on Micah 6:8… He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God…

He talked about the injustice that took place in America with the way the first Africans were treated… then he gave a testimony of a de-segregated school he worked in… it sounded like “Remember the Titans”…

Afterwards we all sang Micah 6:8 together… and then they apologized and said their bus was waiting and they had to leave right away…

I slipped to the back to make sure I had their contact info… the pastor shook my hand and kicked me in the groin… in a sense…

He said they would love to receive updates but they had no interest in sponsoring our school… they wanted to sponsor the children’s choir and have them sing at their church… but they were going to support their denominations bible school in Kampala…

***

Where is the justice?

They used us!

They needed video tape of African Bible students and took advantage of our students…

This isn’t the first time… just the first time someone had the guts to say it to my face… 2 courage points to the pastor who preaches on justice while using our students for his advantage…

I call this Christian colonialism… Western churches conquering Africa for their own benefit…

They will show their video in church… people will give money… and they will raise money for their denominations mission budget…

Time to stop writing before I add "ulcer" to my list of ailments…

***

I feel better now…

After writing the first part of this post I felt that just complaining about it wouldn’t help… so I wrote them a letter…

I appreciated their coming and then asked them to give their donors an accurate picture of whom they were truly supporting... by not showing images of GBI students to fundraise for another school...

There were other things in my flesh I wanted to write… but I think I got the point across…

PLEASE DON’T USE US!

***

Vision trips are great for beginning partnerships and inspiring people to give... but false promises, false appearances and using people you never intended to help isn't right on any continent or in any culture...

Probably not the last time I will be discouraged... but at least I am aware... Satan would love to rob me of my joy...

Time to go hang out with George...

1 comment:

Teenietinyt said...

That's pretty sick...and it SUCKS. Sorry you had to go through that, and sorry you probably have to explain that to everyone...in the words of Dory, "just keep swimming."