07 June 2008

In His Image?

On Tuesday I was with the second year students in my Pastoral Epistles class… our 5th class together over the last 2 years… part of me feels like I don’t need to be there since they understand the text so well on their own… I guess that is the way things should be since they will be graduating at the end of next term…

On Thursday I was with the first year students in Theology 2… our 1st class together… who are these people?

We are beginning with a study of Anthropology… as part of the study we are taking a look at man as being created in the image of God…

Now when I refer to man… I am speaking of mankind… both men and women…

The only problem is that they have no problem with MAN being in God’s image but an extreme problem with WOMAN being in God’s image…

Being that men and woman have different roles… I as a man have never and will never give birth no matter how hard I try or how big my stomach grows… they believe that one gender must be superior to the other… and they have no problem seeing God as favoring one gender over the other…

To me it seems so obvious that their culture has shaped their theology and more importantly their view of God… as an outsider it only took a matter of seconds to see that for them God had been formed into “their” own likeness….

I love pointing the finger…

But I wonder what they see in my teaching that has more to do with my culture than with what Scripture teaches… I wonder what they hear in my preaching that is more of a Western mindset than a biblical mindset… and is it ever possible to separate your view of scripture from your culture, upbringing and the teaching you grew up under?

Just a few thoughts from the first week of class…

2 comments:

Sallie said...

Excellent observation, Jeff. Now I wonder what I am adding to my teaching that is my view rather than a scriptural view. Yikes!

Love,Mom

Bobby said...

That's pretty crazy! Today when I was walking around inside the cement cellar (aka Costco) I thought that same thing! Is it possible for me to be completely objective when I try and understand scripture?

By the way, we need to chat. You skype?