13 June 2008

Re-Entry Shock... Part 2

WARNING: Hearing me complain is depressing… but somehow writing it out is therapeutic…at the end of the day we will re-adjust… but for now we are experiencing culture or re-entry shock...

*******

Why bother?

This is the question I have been wrestling with all week when it comes to friendships in Uganda…

Now granted we do have some great friends that we love… but it seems like most are leaving or already gone…

Half of our small group is leaving the country…

Over 10 families from the church are relocating to other continents…

The three couples that we spend the majority of our time with are all on furlough…

The one family that is around is in danger of being suffocated by our constant need to hang out or visit…

Rumors of other friends leaving the country are swirling… the last thing you do is tell people your leaving… your entire house immediately goes up for public auction and your friends quickly look for replacements…

The average stay of an ex-pat in Uganda is 2 years… so we have already outlasted our first batch of friends…

I want to dive into some friendships… and I’ve been counseled that I would be a good idea…

But my requirements for friendship are growing…

How long are you staying?

How often do you furlough? What time of year do you furlough?

How often can we hang out?

Do you have a wife? Kids? A reference that can guarantee that you are staying?

I have abandonment issues…

Jeff’s Personal Ad…

Married / White / Male … Looking for a friend who will stick around for at least a year… willing to try a 9 month relationship if you like the Dodgers or Lakers… I enjoy running, caffeine and complaining on my blog… 0752-702500

No comments: