14 June 2008

Re-entry Shock... part 3

I’m sleepy but not sleeping… My treadmill is broken… and I can’t stand hearing “Mizungu, who chasing you?”My desk has 4 months of piles… my students have 4 months of questions… and my Ugandan house, car and life need 4 months of maintenance…The internet is working on Christine’s computer but nothing yet for me…My list of “need to do” is destroying my list of “want to do”…I know it’s a phase… a readjustment… and a spiritual battle…but that knowledge doesn’t seem to make it any easier…I want to sleep-in… over-eat… and pull a Jack Bauer on the next guy that tries to rob me…I have the re-entry blues…and worst of all I know it… and feel like I should just push through it… but I can’t…I feel like Kadin… who loves to lay in the middle of the floor and yell… “I’m stuck” … when in reality all he needs to do is get off the floor and stand up because nothing is holding him down…************Breakthrough… what you just read was written on Monday night between 2-4 AM…Julie Andrews came for a visit since that time… and I simply remembered a few of my favorite things… or just a few good things that have happened…I’m happy to be eating beans again… seriously… I love Ugandan beans smothered over the top of posho or rice…I like teaching… my students think I’m cool… even though I’m white and I can’t dance…Things at the school have been challenging… but we balanced the budget… implemented coaching/mentoring for all staff members… dismissed a disgruntle staff member…and are communicating better than ever as a staff… in just 3 weeks…Christine now has internet… and mine… for the Mac… should be working soon…Christine painted her office and finally has the “set-up” she has wanted for her study time…The boys are so happy to be home… I haven’t seen Noah this happy, relaxed and “at home” since just before we left Moorpark… as the emotional thermometer of the family its good to see him thriving… Thursday Christine and I went to his school play and watched him sing songs in English, Luganda and Swahili that he was able to learn in 3 weeks... I have no clue what he is saying but couldn’t be more proud!Kadin loves Africa… eating at roadside stands… taking long walks in the village… wrestling with goats and pigs along the way… and playing with Joseline on the days he doesn’t go to school…Overall… it is a shock to “re-enter”… but like any other adjustment it’s a phase… and I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel…***************It's another day later... I'm not posting so quickly these days due to inconsistent internet...Reading through what I have written one thing is clear...I live in a paradox...I love Uganda... but some days Uganda brings me to my knees...But for this family living in a paradox means being at home...

No comments: