11 June 2008

Re-Entry Shock...

I feel violated… I’ve been robbed for the second time since returning to Uganda…

Although the first one could be considered a mugging since my camera and radio were stolen right off my body in the middle of a crowd…

On Sunday I went into Kampala to meet with some pastors to debrief the Passion event…

Everything was normal… I parked outside of the restaurant next to the other pastors… I was greeted my the crippled man sitting on the sidewalk with two deformed legs… he offered to watch my car for some spare change and I was more than willing to allow the man an opportunity to earn some income…

We sat outside the restaurant with a view of the street and some overgrown shrubs that obstructed my view of the car… which we are borrowing from some friends who are out of the country for 2 months… we are experimenting with the idea of 2 cars since I have decided to no longer ride on the back of motorcycles without a helmet…

The meeting was excellent and I was so encouraged to hear the post-Passion stories of God’s work continuing in the city… we swapped Passion stories and celebrated Pastor Peter’s birthday together…

Throughout the meal the usual suspects passed by… the man selling pirated DVDs… the women selling bananas and snacks… and a few drunks looking for a handout…

When the meeting was over I was handed a 5 million shilling check to pass on to a friend who had done the printing for Passion… being a little nervous I went straight to the car… stopping only to pay the crippled man who watched the car… and jumped in and took off…

After throwing the check in the glove box and making my way through the city I started feeling a bit hot… so I reached over to roll the window down only to feel the empty void where the power window switches once were… then I glanced around to see that they had been ripped out of all 4 doors…

New line item budget… “robbery recovery”

New paranoia… “everyone is out to rob me”

New life stage… “mission field re-entry”

So Monday and Tuesday my mechanic searched the town for 4 power window / lock switches… I probably paid $200 for the exact ones that were stolen… plus another $50 to have the windows re-tinted since they scratched the old tinting while breaking in and pulling the switches out…
I didn’t call the insurance… what insurance?

I didn’t call the police… I’ve been down that road and decided to save a week of frustration…

I didn’t take any pictures… what camera?

I did think it through… it’s a readjustment phase… it’s a spiritual attack… it’s just another trial that should be considered my joy…

But then again it’s the middle of the night 2 days later and I’m pounding the keys of my computer because I can’t sleep… no matter how hard I process it through and try to think clearly… I just feel violated…

1 comment:

marcie said...

Aw, sorry Jeff!! That is not a nice welcome!! I tried desparately to attach a picture I took of an insurance sticker I saw on a car when I was there. It was Nico Insurance Uganda and the slogan was "We won't make drama out of a crisis". Is that code for "Too bad for you, Mizungu, you're in big trouble and we're not going to do anything about it for a month"?