06 August 2008

Bunga Injustice...

It is nearing the end of the term at GBI and in the Ugandan school system… their summer break is December and January…

Most secondary students are at boarding schools and as a ritual most parents visit their children around this time of term to encourage them to finish strong and to give them transport money home… some things transcend culture… teenagers in any country will blow through a wad of cash if you make them hold it too long…

Joseline has a few nieces in boarding school… her sister is unable to visit them… so each term Joseline visits them the Sunday before their exams to encourage them and to give them some transport money home…

Sunday afternoon Christine received a call that was difficult to understand… Joseline was sobbing… she had been robbed… or mugged... at the taxi park and was stranded in the middle of Kampala… she asked us to send a boda to pick her up…

I drove down there myself and found her still sobbing… she cried the whole way home…

In between tears she explained that traffic was so bad and the taxi was so overcrowded that they began unloading a few blocks away from the taxi park in the middle of the road…

As she exited the taxi a man ripped her purse out of her arms and ran off… she didn’t see his face and the man got off… with no one even bothering to stop and help her out…

They got her bible, journal, jacket, cell phone, cash, ID cards and more…

I sat listening to her story… trying to think of something comforting to say… but mainly listening…

She asked the question, “How could this happen, I was going there to do good and evil happened to me?”

I spared her the theology lesson on how a good God allows evil… but I was reminded of the 2 times I was robbed recently… at the Passion conference and the Passion conference debrief… and I remembered wondering myself about the injustice of it all…

For me… when these things happen… I feel like a victim… a missionary martyr for the faith… but today I was reminded that when bad things happen its not because I am some victim missionary martyr… but because I’m a human in a fallen world…

Now I could have monologued… is that a word?... about suffering producing endurance… steel passing through fire to but made pure and strong… considering suffering joy… which are all true…

But the sermons just floated between my ears while Joseline sobbed…

When we got home Joseline gave me a big hug and thanked me for being there for her...

Still not knowing what to say… I told her I was sorry it happened to her… sorry not because I did something wrong but because I understood her tears… she was doing good and an evil thing happened…

2 comments:

John said...

Please tell Joselyn that we too are saddened to hear about her being mugged. The positive that I recall, is that even when we feel that no one was there, the Holy Spirit was with her. He did not leave her alone. He helped her remember to call on you to come to her aid. He knew her life was more valuable than money or a Bible or a cell phone.
Evil is in the world as a reminder that people want to be in control and think that their ways are better than God's. But the evil and the hurt that they inflict in innocents is difficult to endure. We want revenge. But, thank God that is His job. He promises that he will avenge. We must trust him and honor him. He asks us to forgive. He says that will pour out coals on their heads.
Joselyn was doing good, just trying to reflect God's love to her family. God does not forget. He loves her. We do too!

Teenietinyt said...

Tell Joseline I am SO SORRY to hear about this..!