25 August 2008

Christopher's Introduction

It was a typical Ugandan Introduction... two years ago it would have probably driven me crazy... but this one just had me laughing the whole time...

Christopher told me to meet the wedding party in Mukono at 1 PM... he told all his other friends 11 AM... feeling honored that he would trust me with the "real" time I showed up at exactly 12:58...

Only 4 of the 50 who were supposed to meet there had shown up... and Christopher was no where to be seen... so I enjoyed a 30 minute nap in the car until some of my former students from UCU showed up... we chatted about every family member, friend and animal they had ever known until Christopher showed up at 2:30...

Everyone loaded into the cars... of which we were about 10 seats short... and it began to rain...

All of the presents were in the back of a truck with no covering... so we all jumped out and everyone put at least 1 basket on their lap...

Here Joseline is displaying a traditional goma... with a basket of tomatoes and green pepper on here lap...



Christopher told us the the Introduction would be just up the road... 90 minutes later we pulled up to a random building in the middle of nowhere... the only sign I recognized was a World Vision Kasawo sign about 10 km back...

When we arrived it was pouring rain... which had me thrilled since I would much rather spend an afternoon in the rain than having the sun beat down on my red neck...

Fortunately no one else like this idea... so they all stayed in the cars as I took a stroll in the rain to cool off...

At 4:30 the rain stopped and we all lined up to enter...



When you arrive with the groom everyone in his party is considered a muko... a husband to the bride... so it is as if we are all arriving to take the girl to be our bride... some weird tribal idea... what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine... including our wives...

But the fun part of this is that the true groom gets to hide among his wedding party... then sometime after the 60 minutes of introductions the fat aunt tries to find him... again this is Ugandan humor... they pick the biggest aunt from the brides side and make her walk up and down the rows on the overcrowded grooms side to find the man... this kind of humor is not meant for people with "spacial issues"...

Even more ironic was that Christopher hid next to me... like it isn't hard to see a lone white guy in a crowd of 50... here is an undercover shot I took of Christopher while we hid...



Around 6:30 they finally brought out the bride... the brides side had asked us to bring the gifts but the groom side replied that we wanted to check her out first to see if she was worth it...

Now they did offer me a translator... but I prefer to catch what I can and then make the rest up in my head as the evening rolls along... much more entertaining in my estimation...



After checking her out... all 50 of us agreed to take her as our bride... and as you can see Christopher was the most excited of all...



Around 8:30 they remembered that we hadn't eaten all day and I enjoyed the greatest feast of matoke, g-nut sauce, potatoes, rice and beef (at least I think it was beef) of all time...

By 9:00 PM we hit the road and made it back to Bunga before Sunday...

Now I must apologize... in all the excitement of the day I forgot to hand my camera over to get a "snap" of me in my dress... currently I am trying to figure out how to get the mud stains out... but pictures are coming...

3 comments:

Lena said...

Did Christine get a goma and go along??

It sounds like it was fun!

Jen said...

So... they're just engaged now, right? Isn't there a wedding ceremony with more cross-dressing to follow?

Sallie said...

I want a picture of you in your dress, mud is okay, for our family calendar. Don't disappoint me Jeff!

Love, Mom