21 August 2008

Cross-dressing for Christopher...

The first Ugandan man I ever held hands with is getting married on Saturday… and I will be wearing a dress…

In January of 2005… on my first trip to Uganda… on my first day in Uganda… my translator asked me if I wanted to go for a walk… Jetlagged, exhausted and experiencing my first of many “African stomach” issues… so I thought a little fresh air would do me some good…

As we left the center where we were leading a pastor’s conference… he reached down and grabbed my hand… with my gay-dar on full alert I spun my head around to see who was watching… the 100 or so pastors standing around looked unfazed but my fellow American… who had been to Uganda before… was rolling with laughter behind the church…

Welcome to Ugandan culture… men hold hands… and it’s okay…

Over the last 3+ years my friendship with Christopher has continued to grow… although nothing beyond holding hands or a manly pat on the back… he lived with us for half of ’06 while he was my translator and top student at Uganda Christian University… we spent many evenings attempting to kill rats and I got to teach him some important aspects of American culture… like trick or treating and watching LOST…



This Saturday I have the honor of being in his wedding party as we travel to his future bride’s house for their introduction… the Ugandan traditional dowry ceremony where they barter over the bride price and in the end give up as many cows as she is worth…

A 2 cow girl is hard to find…

So I will be there in a dress… also know by the manly Ugandan name Kan-zoo… that isn’t the correct spelling but phonetics will do… and a sportscoat… wondering if I put on the right style of slip?

Pictures to come but I'm still on a crash diet of unfiltered water and suspicious meat...

5 comments:

John said...

Too cool for school. You must have the legs for a kanzu. Best man is quite an honor. Christopher has a good eye in choosing someone to be his man of honor.

PS> sit with your knees together.

Lena said...

John had a good suggestion...we wouldn't want you flashing anyone during the introduction!!

Kelly said...

WHAT! Christopher is getting married!!!!

Sallie said...

Jeff - Please blog a picture of you in the dress. I haven't seen you in one since preschool!

Love, Mom

Jen said...

Oh come on, Jeff's definitely worn a dress more recently than preschool. I'm sure I can find a picture somewhere...