17 August 2008

Going Green...

I've never been very "green"... hemp jewelry gives me strange rashes... I strongly believe that water from a bottle tastes better... and the last car I owned in the US was affectionately referred to by the California DMV "grosss smog polluter"

But as Adam complained... "it's the woman you put here with me in the garden" ... the woman in my garden is making me green... or at least trying her best with the old dog she's been given...



It's been 3 weeks since I've had a drink... from a plastic bottle...

The great thing about a nalgen is that you hardly have to wash them... three washes in three weeks and its good to go... at least I think they don't need it that often...

All of our yogurt cups and other plastics are now used for a seed garden where Christine experiments with different seeds that she got from ECHO...



Our paper trash is now mulch for the garden... our Ugandan night watchman swears we are crazy in Lugandan as he helps us to tear the trash and throw it in little bits all over the garden...

This is my favorite "green" activity... watching other people tear the trash... I prefer it over the senseless burning of everything which is good by the neighbors... who I believe are secretly plotting to destroy my contact lenses so I have to wear glasses year round...



All of our food scraps now go into a plastic bin filled with worms... Christine put it in simple terms for me... "the worms eat our food and poop out fertilizer for the garden"... it made total sense to me...

Here Noah is watching Christine turn the fertilizer... while complaining on and on about the smell... which is the equivalent to a Kadin diaper Xs 10... I would have just moved which I did after I took this shot... but there is something amazing about horrific smells which fascinates little boys...



Finally, I found a way to "pitch in"... Recently I had to get new tires for the Landcruiser... I donated them to the Christine is Green Foundation and she is now using them as flower beds on the concrete slab behind our house...

I'm starting to like this whole "green thing"... it saves money and the environment at the same time... while providing hours of family entertainment...



If being green can make Al Gore cool... just think about what it might do for you!

3 comments:

Jen Powell said...

Where did you get your green ideas? Any type of website or book or just common sense? Good job on saving the environment and giving up plastic bottles! That is a tough one, but a smart one!!!

Sallie said...

Christine - You have amazed me once again! Can you blog some gardening and recycling hints for us lazy Americans???

Nanny

Jen said...

Yeah, my definition of "green gardening" is the amazing ability to actually keep plants green rather than the familiar shade of brown that I always produce. I've heard that remembering to water the plants helps. You have my respect for being a gardner!