05 August 2008

Play that funky music...

Last Tuesday at our end of term Student / Staff Fellowship my worst dreams came true… well, maybe not that bad… but still one of those social situations I do my best to avoid… I was asked to dance…

I purposely went to a college that banned dancing… I don’t even play Dance, Dance Revolution… although, I am amused by those who consider it dancing …

I have nothing against dancing… other than two left feet and an internal rhythm that is uncoordinated and incompatible with any form of music…

If you have ever seen me dance… count yourself blessed… and may it never find its way to YouTube…

As part of the humorous events planned by the students they thought it would be funny to see a “dance off” between the staff: myself, Jennie (the other white teacher), Flavia (the librarian) and Jonah (the computer teacher)… vs. our 3 oldest students: Lucy (a widow in her 60s), Edna (80% blind and pushing 70), Mary (the only student to ever have one of her children also enrolled at GBI) and Paul (our resident Ugandan country singer)… you get the picture… the students were howling with laughter before the music began…

Next came the blaring of African hip-hop… my personal favorite… it sounds like a tribal chant from the American inter-city… I began shaking my money-maker all over the dance floor…

Fortunately, after 2 minutes in which I used every move I know… and a few others which must have been spirit led… I was out in the first round…

Lucy and Edna put on a display of what looked to be African-aerobics… while Jennie put her hands in the air and twirled around the dance floor at the speed of a tornado…

I then joined the laughter from the front row… as I sat there laughing I thought to myself…

“self, what a great moment”

It’s the feeling I used to get as a jr. high pastor… knowing that I could have fun with the students because they knew I cared for them… not because I became a jr. higher all over again…

Even though I am not a Ugandan… as we sat there and laughed together… I got the feeling they know I care… especially since they all know how much I love dancing…

Call it a tribal initiation… but for some reason I was aware that joining in their humor and laughing with them was just as important as the lecture and class that morning…

I’m not looking forward to the next “dance-off”… which is sure to come… but for some reason I’m still smiling about this one…

4 comments:

BigAl said...

Pastor Jeff shaking his money maker, nice..........
It always comes back to Kevin Bacon, We are all connected to him. Jeff Atherstone starring in
"FOOTLOOSE 2" coming to theaters in 2009.

Sallie said...

I would have paid big money to see that sight! Any videos??? Please!!

Mom

Teenietinyt said...

You are one of VERY FEW people with the ability to make me laugh no matter where I am. I read your blog at work (where I should be quiet because I am supposed to be working), in the library (where I should be quiet because others are attempting to study...who does that), and at home when everyone else is asleep (where I should be quiet b/c they are sleeping)...hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Jeff - I must say this post has had me laughing out loud at my desk this afternoon. Nicely done.

Renee Crosby