13 September 2008

A few exciting things at GBI… Part 2

When we were in Florida for training January – April one of the classes we took was a Perspectives course on world missions…

I loved the class… the first time I took it I was still in seminary and it was required of Christine and I before we went on the mission field… that whole seminary + an additional required course lead to lack of enthusiasm on my part which I now regret… but when we took it again this year it was amazing…

Over and over I was blown away by the Perspectives materials and I couldn’t wait to get back and share the materials with my students at Gaba Bible Institute…

This last week the new term started as did my Perspectives course… now some people think I’m crazy for teaching missions to Africans… aren’t the missionaries supposed to go to Africa?

But I think that Uganda would be a great sending country for missionaries… here are my reasons…

1) They are natural language learners… of my 36 students all are at least bilingual and 24 are at least quadlingual (I don’t know if that is a word but they speak four languages)… one student can speak fluently in 8… language learning is a challenge for many missionaries but many Ugandans appear to learn new languages with ease…

2) They are more adept to diverse living conditions… most visitors comment that they could never live in a country where they are surrounded by so much poverty… I think it would be much easier for a Ugandan to get used to warm showers than for Americans to get used to cold showers…the only training we have in the US for living overseas is watching Survivor which is hardly reality...

3) They would be much more welcome in the 10/40 window than any American… I must admit – I’m scared of Middle Easterners… after 6 seasons of watching 24 I am convinced that anyone with olive skin is a terrorist… slight exaggeration but from our entertainment to our foreign policy they don’t exactly lay out the welcome mat for Americans in that region of the world… wouldn’t it be better to send an African missionary who doesn’t suspect that everyone in a turban is a terrorist?

Those are my reasons... which may or may not have any validity... but still I'm excited... the students at GBI are discovering God's heart for the nations and I for one believe that to the nations they will go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, it is a great point.

Holly Bigelow said...

oh, jeffrey and christine, i learn so much when i read what you write! thank you!