16 October 2008

Jeff’s Triennial Log… blog date 10/12/08

My computer has been off now for 4 days… he feels cold and lonely… he hasn’t gone this long without human contact since the pre-Jeff days in the Mac Store…

I better write a few things about the Bulgaria part of the conference before I forget…

Every afternoon in Bulgaria we had a series of missionary workshops:

Leading a short-term trip for 10… and coming home with at least 9…

Jungle survival… catching monkeys and then roasting them for dinner…

Repairing a blown radiator… with a Coke bottle, rubber band and mango juice…

Taking a family safari… and turning it into a tax write-off…

Knot tying… for Boy Scout drop-outs…


These topics weren’t on the list of workshops but I did suggest them for next triennial… instead they focused on topics that were slightly more practical…

Raising Third Culture Kids… Leading a Short-Term Trip Orientation and Debrief… Tent Making and Business as Mission… Understanding Poverty Thinking… to name a few…

I helped lead a workshop on Blogging and another on Healthy Lifestyles... neither one of those was a joke for those who are laughing...

The blogging one was fun and I am looking forward to reading the stonesinuganda knock-offs from all over the world... but the healthy lifestyles one has me a little suspicious... judging from my health record and physical shape compared to the 2 ladies I was teamed with... I got the feeling I was the "before" picture... or the "what not to do guy"... although I was glad to do my part...

Christine was part of an agriculture / sanitation / community development workshop during the healthy lifestyle workshop... or else she would have been with us explaining how she has kept me alive for so long...

Altogether there were over 50 workshops to choose from… it was like shopping at Costco for current missions ideas and training…

NMSI has a great blend of … “been on the field for 20 years” before the days of internet, hand sanitizer and bug spray to “been out of college for 2 years” studied current mission thought and I’m ready to go anywhere and do anything and everyone in between… which makes for great interaction in the workshops… although you probably had to be there to truly appreciate it…

***************************

RANDOM: The internet is so fast at this hotspot that I have to add some random proof of live pictures...



No comments: