02 October 2008

Traveling with Ease...

I firmly believe we could win the amazing race… we are becoming pros at this traveling thing!

And having a 1:1 parent / child ratio for traveling doesn’t hurt either…

We left for the airport at 1 AM on Wednesday… our driver Jackson got really confused about the difference between AM and PM so I told him to just drive over to our house after dinner and sleep in his van… apparently it must have sounded romantic because when I went out to wake him his wife was sleeping in the passenger seat next to him… date night?

We loaded the van and then carried the boys down stairs in their PJs… neither really woke up…

We arrived at the airport around 2:30 AM… avoiding any delays in traffic from raging Eid parties… to check-in… apparently they were out of ink or skilled laborers so instead of printing our boarding passes we were given these nice hand written tickets…



Kadin was definitely awake at this point but Noah we still in a haze as we had some nice stale glaze-less doughnuts in the one and only Entebbe Airport restaurant…




Once we entered the boarding area for the Egypt Airlines flight Noah and Kadin still in their PJs started playing with a 3-year old Egyptian boy in a 3-piece brown suit with a yellow tie and freshly polished black dress shoes… they didn’t get him too dirty…

Kadin slept most of the flight and Noah read and watched movies the 4.5 hours it took to get to Egypt and the other 30 minutes we spent flying in circles over Egypt… I think they just wanted to see if I would hurl but fortunately my stomach was empty because the in flight breakfast scared me…

Upon arriving in Egypt manna fell from the sky and we took out a second on our mortgage to buy 2 venti lattes… fortunately I still had a WAMU credit card and they extended us some credit…



Around this time we spotted the NMSI missionaries from Kenya and joined them on the flight to Athens… the five hour lay-over in Athens would have been much nicer had we found the children’s play area sometime in the first four hours but then again it was like finding a second wind in a marathon when we did find it…

The entire time we were in the airport I felt like I was in seminary again… I was surrounded by Greek words that looked familiar but I could quit remember any…

Kadin puked as we boarded the flight to Sofia, Bulgaria… but I think it was just to keep us on our toes and in protest since the flight was 30 minutes late… he fell right to sleep once we boarded...



We arrived in Bulgaria around 10 PM… Noah still hadn’t slept since 1 AM but was apparent unaffected by the travel… their customs was far too easy to pass through… which probably isn’t a good thing to write if there is a terrorist reading this blog… but the airport was really nice and clean so I think I’m going to nominate them for a summer Olympics…

We boarded a bus and Kadin feel asleep with his head on my lap… he is a real night sweater so when we stopped for a bathroom break it looked as if I hadn’t been able to hold it in as I waited in line for my turn…

We arrived at the hotel at 1 AM… does that count as a 23 hour work day + 1 or a 24 hour work day?… and we were greeted by our friends from the NMSI CGO… all told we survived and are alive somewhere in Bulgaria… I need to pay attention next time they mention the exact name of the town… but its nice wherever it is!

2 comments:

Sallie said...

Happy birthday Noah! Now you are five! What a big boy you are!

Nanny and Pops love you - LOTS!

Holly Bigelow said...

dear jeffrey, you must have MANY funny bones in your body, because you are HILL-AIR-EEE-US!! i love to read what you write! happy trails in europe!

with smiles :-) :-) from hollyb