18 December 2008

The GBI Buzz...

Since the choir tour began and especially after our graduation ceremony there is a growing buzz about Gaba Bible Institute in the community…

3 times a year we hold 2-week intensive courses… the first 2 this year were attended by 15-20 students (for 4 classes) so we were considering canceling them… but for the last 2-weeks we have had 35 students on campus and already we have 52 registered for January…

Please excuse me… I’m a closet math geek… so numbers get me excited…

But what convinced me that our reputation is truly taking off was a visit I received yesterday… from Jimmy the LC… now an LC may not sound like much but it’s the equivalent to being the mayor of Simi Valley… or any town around 100,000… sorry, more numbers…

But not only is he our mayor… he is also a party rep for the NRM… President Museveni’s political party… so when Museveni is campaigning in the Gaba Area… Jimmy the LC is his go to guy…

Jimmy didn’t come to my office looking for votes… he came looking for an application… it seems that after 45 years… 4 lady friends and 8 children…. Jimmy found Jesus… and he wants to study the Bible at GBI…

He caught me of guard and I half expected to never see him again… but this afternoon he marched into my office with the 10-page application completely filled and ready to begin classes… so he was a little disappointed to here that the school is closed down next week for Christmas…

After an hour of chit-chat about local politics and numerous invitations to join him at ribbon cutting ceremonies and businessmen’s clubs… Jimmy left… but only after I assured him that we were holding him a spot at GBI…

2 comments:

Abigail said...

i got chills reading that. that's awesome jeff. (and i love math too)

Lena said...

That is amazing!! GOd is doing an amazing work in Uganda because of you! Oh and I agree with Abigail...math rocks!