02 December 2008

Thanksgiving...

Holidays overseas can go one of two ways... depressing or different...

Instead of sitting around pouting about not being with family or about having to work on Thursday, Friday and Saturday (Graduation) of Thanksgiving week... we decided to go big on Thanksgiving Sunday for our second annual holiday bash...

The celebration began on Thursday evening when Josh and I decided that we were manly enough to kill a turkey on our own... I really don't have a problem killing animals... I do have a problem touching them while they are still alive... needless to say if the video of me trying to catch the turkey makes it on U-Tube my reputation as a rugged African missionary is sure to go down the tubes...



Josh eventually caught the turkey... not on video so he makes it sound better than it was... and then he held the turkey down while I cut the head off... again if the video ever makes it on U-Tube PETA will have me arrested... I forgot to sharpen the knife and it took entirely too long...

We had my friend the warlord kill the second turkey and it was a much more pleasant experience...



The party on Sunday had all the traditional Thanksgiving elements including a football game which was first played by the pilgrims and indians... as was the case 300 some years ago the indians in our game weren't great at understanding the game but they sure were better athletes...



The party was a smorgusborge of Americans, Europeans, Africans and Canadians... old-timers, newbies and others just passing through... I enjoy the random collection of pilgrims and indians and the blending of different holiday traditions...



Kadin did his best to ensure that both turkeys were devoured... and he was all partied out and in bed by 4:30 PM... others partied later into the evening... and a good time was had by all!

3 comments:

Lena said...

Hey Jeff...I started laughing when I saw your thanksgiving pic on the porch...it looks just like last years but with a few different people...It was like Dejavu =) Anyway...glad it was great!!!

marcie said...

Wow, as many times as I've seen that darn turkey head in someone's hand, it still grosses me out!!

Matt b said...

so, where's the video? i would love to see it, jeff.