30 January 2009

I prefer to stand...

This week I have been seeking out any opportunity to stand at work… or finding soft fluffy places to sit...

After spending last weekend on horses and quad bikes to celebrate Christine’s 30th birthday…

I would have been happy to get and mani and pedi with my wife to celebrate her big day… but for those who know her best a weekend in the wilderness is her kind of pampering…

We spent the first afternoon cruising the park without a safari guide… who needs a wildlife authority armed with an M16 and endless facts about Uganda’s smallest game park… instead we chose to blaze our own trail… a personal highlight for me was when Christine jumped out of the car an snagged a stack of zebra skeletal remains as presents for the boys…



The next morning we had no choice but to take a guide for a 2 hour walk through the park… it was pouring rain but that made it even more exciting as we searched through the brush to find zebra, bush bucks and buffalo…



The rain continued through the afternoon but cleared up in time for me to display my unending love for my wife… I rode a horse…

Seriously, for a guy with a lifetime goal to “not touch animals” it was a very fun afternoon… especially when the guide started to tense up as the buffalos considered a stamped in our direction…

After a few hours of trotting I was ready to try a few Man from Snowy River stunts… but then again you shouldn’t believe everything you read…



My personal highlight was cruising through the game park on quad bikes our final morning… Christine and I both prefer to go full throttle and steer towards any mud in sight… so we were thrilled that it rained the entire night before our ride… we didn’t stop the first hour and when we did I couldn’t stop laughing at the sight of the poor girl who rode behind me who was sprayed from head to toe with mud and zebra manure …

She didn’t get upset at me… he boyfriend bore the brunt of her wrath since he was laughing even harder…



For her 60th we might climb Mt. Kilimanjaro and for her 90th we will probably race wheel chairs around the nursing home... but for now her 30th will be hard to beat... and not soon forgotten by my hind-quarters...

4 comments:

Holly said...

It sounds like so much fun. Glad you both had a great birthday celebration.
Love,
Mom

Sallie said...

Jeff - Everyday is an adventure with you! Sounds like a fun birthday but for mine let's you and I go for a mani and a pedi! It will be a great mother-son bonding time!

Love, Mom

Flo Oakes said...

Jeff, your knowledge of the "mani/pedi" terminology is somewhat alarming. The fact that you even referred to them as such in your blog made me laugh out loud.

Natalie said...

you touched an animal!
my heart is warmed!