16 January 2009

Swoon Theory…

There are many people who deny the resurrection of Jesus Christ… they say the disciples stole the body… early Christians just spread rumors and fools believe its true… and on and on the theories go…

But the theory I have always seen to be the most foolish was the swoon theory… that after being beaten, flogged, crowned with thorns, crucified and pierced with a spear that Jesus simply passed out for a few days..

This week I had a first had encounter with a “swoon “… only this time I am finding myself believing it…

On Tuesday morning I received word that the mother of one of my teachers had a stroke and passed away… as is custom he stopped by the office and we all gave our condolences and cash to help with the burial… he then left on his 1-day journey to the village outside of Mbale to bury his mother…

On Thursday morning I received a text… “MY MAM CAME BK 2 LIFE AFTER PRYR. SHE IN A COMA”… spelling and grammar aren’t a priority on text messages which is also a personal conviction I hold to when blogging…

He was also happy to report that this gave him an opportunity to speak his final words to his mother…

I thought I would be the only skeptic in the office so I kept a tight lip during staff lunch… everyone was pleased that he had a chance to see his mother… but jokes about the dead and half-living are apparently appropriate within reason… even a few comments about whether or not we should pitch in for the next burial… followed by a few more laughs… the teacher himself even texted us a wise cracks of his own…

I found myself believing it was a “swoon” and a poor diagnosis of death…

The mom passed away on Thursday night and we all called again to give our condolences… but this time I also suggested that they check the pulse and make sure the body is cold before commencing the burial…

I believe in the resurrection… the one that took place 2000 years ago… but as far as the latest resurrection goes I am a skeptic… I am more inclined to call it a swoon…

No comments: