10 February 2009

Why GBI?

I don’t feel a pressing need to defend what I do… we have great supporters, a clear calling and continual affirmation that an impact is being made…

So it might seem strange for me to give a defense for the ministry that I am involved in… but I feel it is necessary because I believe it is important for people… specifically Atherstone supporters and loyal blog followers… to understand the importance of training Africa’s next generation of leaders…

I believe that the ministry of Gaba Bible Institute is more important than any child sponsorship, orphanage, food distribution, mercy ministry and AIDS program…

Now before you misinterpret me… let me say it another way…

Ministries to orphans, the poor and the sick are important… they are also biblical… but I believe that good leadership is the key to solving these problems…

For example…

o How is it that people are poor and starving in a country that is rich with fertile ground and natural resources… poor leadership!

o How is it that a country blessed with natural resources beyond compare is looking to the outside world to provide their daily bread… poor leadership!

o How is it that the church is filled with false teaching and corruption… poor leadership!

o How is it that that a “reached” country is not a missionary sending country… poor leadership!

o How is it that an uneducated and untrained man and a handful of soldiers have murdered thousands and abducted an entire army of children without being caught… poor leadership!

I believe that God’s work in Uganda will be accomplished by men and women who love Him completely and are unashamed to boldly stand on His Word with character and conviction… I call these people LEADERS!

Whether they be dictators, warlords, presidents or pastors the true problem in Africa is a leadership crisis… and I believe that God uses leaders to care for and direct his people… from Abraham to Moses to Joshua to David to Jesus the bible is filled with leaders who cared for the needs of God’s people… but when the leader failed whether it was a judge or king the people suffered…

Africa needs strong leaders… especially in the church… and that is why I believe in the ministry of Gaba Bible Institute… Equipping Christian Leaders for the TRANSFORMATION of society!

4 comments:

Darren said...

Brother, I wholeheartedly agree.

John said...

There are many ministries that carry out the good commission, feeding, caring for, ministering to....
But the Great Commission transforms a "believer" into a new creation. Teaching and training leaders to recognize the high calling of being a servant leader, like our Lord, is essential to see a family, village and country transformed. Keep it going, you are blessed to be where you are and to know why.

jon said...

Yes, well put Jeff. I don't view that as a defense of your ministry. It's a message that needs to be shared. Just had a similar conversation this morning with some visitors to our ministry here in Romania.

Yes, working with the poor is crucial, but many of our solutions for the poor are simply bandaids. Leadership, true wealth (the ability to grow and sustain), and biblical integrity are the things that all great nations/peoples are build upon. Nehemiah, Daniel, Joseph, Jesus, were all in the business of building leaders...some of them among the middle and upper class even. Keep up the good work.

Tony Hall said...

Great stuff, Jeff. I'm encouraged by your heart and work! Sorry I haven't been to your blog in so long... what a blessing you and your ministry are.