03 March 2009

Sustainable Missionaries – The Cons

Often times I get myself in trouble during brainstorming sessions because I am always more in tuned initially with the cons rather than the pros…

But since it is just me and my computer in the room I don’t think Mac will be offended by my “con-first” attitude…

Currently we have 2 businesses going in our “free time”… livestock production (raising chicken and rabbits, as well as an occasional guard dog) and a rental bizz (I rent out my Landcruiser as a Safari-mobile)… and there have been a number of challenges along the way…

1. Neither is a sure bet to make money

Animals die, food prices climb, the car breaks down or falls victim to poor driving…

Currently half our rabbits have died and when we were told that there are no import taxes there was a slight error… once the rabbits arrived the Uganda Revenue Authority suddenly remember that it is a 33% tax on everything…

After 2 weeks in the jungle my Landcruiser was returned with a seatbelt that need to be replaced, a broken back seat and an amazingly loud clunk –clunk sound that lasted all the way to the mechanics shop…

Needless to say our profit margins are steadily shrinking…

2. Both take time away from family and other ministry obligations

Christine has a 7-day a week job feeding, cleaning and medicating her 110 chicks, 5 rabbits, 3 boys and 2 dogs…

As a part-time salesman of chicks, rabbits and safari mobiles my phone is seeing more action than a high school quarterback with a convertible… only I walk to school or take the taxi which is a longer process than just jumping in the car…

3. Finding a balance can be difficult

Working as a Dean of Faculty, Registrar, Professor and day-to-day manager of a pioneer school while helping my wife to start 2 businesses has me negotiating for the sun for more hours in the day…

4. There is biblical evidence that suggests that preachers and teachers should be paid well thus eliminating the need to do business

1 Timothy 5:17-18… basic interpretation… pay the teachers and preachers a fair wage that doesn’t hinder their ministry… although there is a condition that the preaching and teaching be done well... who knew pastors had performance incentives?

****
I could go on and talk about the emotional toll of burying our rabbits and the stress that Noah and Kadin face trying to name 110 chicks… but let’s face it… this list is depressing me…

I need to hurry up and get to the list of “pros”

1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

You are funny Jeff. I'm coming in a few weeks to add to your stress level =)