03 March 2009

Sustainable Missionaries

I love teaching the Perspectives Class on World Missions… but at the same time it is a hard class to teach because it is always challenging me to evaluate what I am doing in Uganda… that whole “am I practicing what I am preaching”

If you have been paying attention to the blog for a while you know that dependency and sustainability are 2 concepts that have been on my mind for a while…

The truth is that money is one of those continuous streams of thought always running in the back of my mind… or maybe I should say “business” is continually on my mind…

My first major in college was business… I made the switch to Biblical Studies because I liked the topic more but never because I lost my interest in business…

I’ve had a hand in business as long as I can remember… it started with collecting beer bottles and cans on Saturday mornings after the high school parties in my neighborhood when I was 7… I even “invested” in extra trash cans and a “can crusher”…

When I was 9 I “invested” in baseball cards… Darryl Strawberry didn’t turn out to be the gold mine I thought he was… but around the time I was 13 I began setting up tables at local card shows and trading my cards for cash… seriously, I was and still am a nerd at heart…

Somewhere in the last 5 years I lost interest in investing… probably around the same time the housing market went sour… a plunge that was equally as bad as the decline of Darryl Strawberry…

But recently the thought crossed my mind again… what if Christine and I could start enough business in Uganda so we could stop living off supporters donations…

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please continue supporting the Atherstone Family… we aren’t self-sustaining at this time…so keep those support checks flooding in!

The thought came across my mind as I was encouraging some students of mine to take their eyes off the US and to try and raise money for their ministries in country first… at the same time I was in the process and still am in the process of looking in Uganda for money for GBI… eventually my mind drifted to the thought of raising my own salary… here in Uganda…

So over the next few days I am hoping… as if I am not busy enough already… to consider the pros and cons of missionaries… such as myself … pursuing tent-making ministries…

Now the pressure is on… I better write something tomorrow…

4 comments:

Lena said...

Let me know what you find...maybe we can both be better businessmen

Darren said...

I'll trade you my Eric Davis investment for your Darryl Strawberry investment.

Remember how good the Dodgers were supposed to be that year?

John said...

Thanks for clarifying that the beer cans were from partying high schoolers in the neighborhood.

Is there any recycling in Uganda?

Renee Franks said...

you never told me that you know how to make tents...