24 April 2009

24 Hours in Rwanda...

I am sure that Jack Bauer could do much more in 24 hours… but for Jeff Atherstone I feel that I got the more out of my trip than your average run of the mill non-superhero…

My purpose for going to Rwanda was to meet with Pastor Charles Mugisha, the President of Africa New Life Ministries… he helped Pastor Peter to plant Gaba Community Church in the 80s and was his right hand man throughout the 90s as they started Africa Renewal Ministries…. after 3 years of study in the US Pastor Charles planted a church in Kigali and begun ANLM… a ministry that is very similar to ARM in regards to their programs…

They are considering the possibilities of starting a Bible College like GBI… for now I went out as a consultant… I have more than enough work in Uganda and I can’t imagine the difficulty of working on 2 schools in 2 different countries…

While I was there I got to spend a few hours with Ndahiro Roger… GBI Alumni Class of ’08… the following 4 paragraphs are a direct copy and paste from a support letter I wrote this week… so I guess you could say I am plagiarizing myself… but for those who didn’t receive the update I thought you might enjoy it as well or at least see that occasionally I tried to use some type of punctuation…

Things got off to a poor start when Roger arrived in December after graduation. The Senior Pastor was out of the country so Roger was placed in the child sponsorship office where he was asked to help children write letters to their sponsors in the US. There is nothing wrong with helping sponsored children, but Roger was eager to begin applying all that he had learned at GBI and had no interest in that particular ministry.

In January, he wrote to me and was very discouraged and questioned the calling he received to return to his birthplace in Rwanda. But instead of giving into discouragement, Roger chose to humble himself in his new church.

When the Senior Pastor returned from the US later that month, he was surprised to find Roger in the sponsorship office and immediately reassigned him. Roger is now the Youth Pastor ministering to 450 street children each week, teaching them practical skills of carpentry and sewing while leading them through discipleship classes.

Roger was also given oversight in the Mercy Ministry. Recently, Tanzania decided to deport all Rwandan Refugees, many of whom have been there for 15 years since the genocide. They were brought over in trucks and left in one of Rwanda’s National Parks where they were told they could not farm the land or kill any animals. Africa New Life Ministries saw the need and stepped in to provide meals for them. Roger has been handling the oversight of this food distribution, working with the refugees to ensure that all are fed and that the love of Christ is shared with each one.




It was a huge encouragement for me to see one of the leaders that we trained at GBI having such an amazing impact…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah, this is great. Continue the good work.